Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's the mine on Mt Constitution (Orcas) all about?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
chriss

chriss
PostFri May 16, 2003 10:03 am 
Hey- thanks for having me in your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago. We had a terrific time on Orcas Island and beat the crowds. On our way up Mt Constitution, my sharp-eyed wife spotted a mine entrance at about 1900' about 50 yards off the trail that I explored the first 50 feet of. Looked quite safe but my lamp was almost out of juice. Found the entrance on a topo map of the area, but no info in the park about it. Anybody know its history? Thanks in advance. If you want blackflies, we got 'em. They're on sale here now for only a buck per thousand. smile.gif Chris

Shrewsbury, MA White Mountain Hiker- NW hiker wannabe
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri May 16, 2003 11:18 am 
I've done quite a bit of research on the San Juans for the NPS, though I don't know about mining (except for limestone quarrying, which did occur) on Mt. Const. specifically. Orcas did have some small coal deposits, so it could have been that. If you are really dying to know, shoot the Orcas Island Historical Society an email. Glad you had fun-I was also up there a couple weekends ago.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message