Forum Index > Trail Talk > Experienced?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat May 17, 2003 10:28 pm 
yeah, i would say three months off kinda supports jooes statement. (it didn't appear arrogent ) hay allison, why dont you quit picking apart his post?? you seem kinda bitchy/ or is that just between joe and you?? argh!! my keyboard suks!!!! PS isn't that snowfield your on in your photo just next to the paradise parking lot?? I used to work there. moon.gif rolleyes.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostSat May 17, 2003 10:29 pm 
Realistically, I have a pretty good memory, and I thought last summer you were called in to duty for a month or so. No? But if you want me to say it I will. BPJ you hike more than anyone. That alone means very little to me and doesn't give anyone the experience that I value. Forest, the pic of her is at YAB.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat May 17, 2003 10:49 pm 
Yet , to awnser the question / if ya get out for multi day trips at least 3-4 times a summer (for backpacking) THEN after a few years you have the equip. down, and your experienciede. PS. GNOMES LIVE IN THE FOREST/ HOW EXP. DOES THIS MAKE THEM??? hmmm.gif WHO CARES ....GET OUT .

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat May 17, 2003 10:54 pm 
Ay! Here we go again... shakehead.gif BPJ, Allison, get a room already! winksmile.gif hmmm.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 17, 2003 11:10 pm 
!!!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostSat May 17, 2003 11:31 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Well gosh Pappy, usually when people do what they love/like, they are really good at it! I wonder that you're criteria is for experience???????????????????????????
Where did I say you were not a good backpacker? BPJ, do you bother to read the posts that others make? If you did you wouldn't have asked that last question? How about you going back and re-read what I've posted in this thread. moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif Regarding your "more is more" philosophy: Get over yourself. We've all been out more than the average Joe. As the late coach of the Cleveland Browns once said, "Act like you've been there". RE: Allison. She's got the rod and reel.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 18, 2003 1:08 am 
!!!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Highker

Highker
PostSun May 18, 2003 5:02 am 
Add this to internet hiker wannabes: argues on internet to puff up ego. Sometimes argues with self. I think I'll go hiking. Be fun to read the next 40 irresponcible responces upon returnin'!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun May 18, 2003 6:23 am 
Here's a switch: I will actually attempt to answer Florida's question. You can become experienced in about two years of regular hiking and backpacking. Once you have been out in the wilderness 50 to 100 times, you will have seen most things once and many things several times. It would take a lifetime to see all there is to see just in Washington State. I make about 50 trips per year, most day hikes but also some overnighters, as long as 8 or 9 days. This makes me a hardcore hiker as far as it being my passion and my main focus of my free time and energy. I am not at all hardcore when it comes to fitness or risk taking. I read trip reports where people say they reached the top of a mountain in 2 hours and returned in 1, and I think "that's impossible". Well, it would be for me, and then I remember that running a marathon would also be impossible for me. I also do not engage in actual climbing on rock or ice, and do not own crampons or an ice axe, since as a solo hiker and a person of less than average balance and coordination, the activities that need this equipment are too dangerous for me. I sometimes feel inferior to some of the real fitness types, but then I get over it! I spent a whole week hiking to, and enjoying, Blue Glacier on Mount Olympus(and returning, of course). Then I read in a hiking book that the author once hiked to the mountain, climbed it, and hiked back all in one go of over 24 hours. I think that it is a shame to pass by all the beautiful things there are to see at warp speed. The point of all this is to say that experience is relative, and you shouldn't compare yourself to others, since they do what they want and you should do what you want. The people who know what they love are the lucky ones, since they just have to go do it to be happy. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George says,"I wish I was a Civil War buff". You can't make yourself love something, but you can try new things to discover your loves.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun May 18, 2003 6:52 am 
Hey Slugman, you have a great attitude about being out there!! smile.gif And as for the comment many posts earlier about "less is more"....I don't know, but I would rather partner with somebody who gets out there as much as me! Getting out every week in the summer rocks, period. It hones your skills, and you don't get rusty. Now, not everybody has the schedule for that. Too bad biggrin.gif And I'll be first to say that even if it sounds concieted I do consider myself to be an experienced outdoorswoman-I can use a compass properly, I can read a topo, I hike solo, I haven't been truly lost in over a decade, I have lead classes in hiking. But I have been very lucky in having a TON of free time to pursue my #1 pasttime-which most hikers don't have. And it has given me time to become comfortable in the wilderness-which I feel that you could have the most gear and you could plan for 6 months for one trip-but if you aren't comfortable out there, why go? Oh yeah, an experienced hiker also checks their ego at the "door" when they go - if not you'll be promptly reminded why Mother Nature is more than ready to kick your butt.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun May 18, 2003 9:02 am 
All this I'm-more-experienced bickering is silly. Slugman definitely has the right attitude. I'm certainly not the most experienced hiker on the trail, or on this forum, and I really couldn't care less. I hike for the enjoyment and fulfillment it brings me, not to try to be better than others. I read the trip reports about someone summiting a mountain in a few hours as Slugman mentioned and think of all the things they probably missed that I would have enjoyed, but if that is how they want to spend their time in the outdoors, if that is how they get their fulfillment, then power to them. There's room for us all out there. If someone never hikes a trail that isn't paved they probably aren't as experienced as those that hike off-trail, but who cares? If they are enjoying themselves, then good for them. That's what matters.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 18, 2003 9:37 am 
Are You Experienced? If you can just get your mind together uh-then come on across to me We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise From the bottom of the sea But first, are you experienced? Uh-have you ever been experienced-uh? Well, I have (Well) I know, I know, you'll probably scream and cry that your little world won't let you go But who in your measly little world, (-uh) are you tryin' to prove to that you're made out of gold and-uh, can't be sold So-uh, are you experienced? Have you ever been experienced? (-uh) Well, I have Uh, let me prove it to you, yeah Trumpets and violins I can-uh, hear in the distance I think they're callin' our name Maybe now you can't hear them, but you will, ha-ha, if you just take hold of my hand Ohhh, but are you experienced? Have you ever been experienced? Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful -Jimi Hendrix

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 18, 2003 10:24 am 
Now that is experienced! TB

jose average

jose average
PostSun May 18, 2003 11:01 am 
This just in.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 18, 2003 11:46 am 
Ya, I read that. Glad he was found a-o-k! TB