Forum Index > Trail Talk > Anyone been to these NC lakes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blake

Blake
PostSun May 18, 2003 8:01 pm 
I am very experienced in the North Cascades and the Lake Chelan Area and always enjoy talking with others.. anyone here been to Trapper Lake, or a couple of out of the way lakes near South Pass (between Twisp and Stehekin)?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun May 18, 2003 8:15 pm 
I plan to visit Trapper on my next trip to Cascade Pass. When I was in the area last time I think a grad student was doing research at the lake. I only want to go to the ridge overlook, not the lake. This means just sticking to the right side once you get down to Pelton Basin. There is a very entertaining story in a book (I think Alan has a copy so maybe he can help me with the title) about a couple of prospectors that explored the area in the late 1800's. I think the name for the lake at that time was Sheol.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Blake

Blake
PostSun May 18, 2003 8:20 pm 
I wwent up to trapper from cottonwood in the climbing/hike/scrmable route which is short than going up to cascade pass, but i have done cascade/sahale too. It's a pretty good sized like (float planes can land) do you know of any online picture sources?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 18, 2003 8:23 pm 
I'd like to go in there this summer! I'd guess P-Bears Cascade Pass route would be best!??!?!?! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Blake

Blake
PostSun May 18, 2003 8:28 pm 
joe, what's best? there is no "best way" to get to trapper. If you go with someone who knows the route from cottonwood, then that rote is shorter, but steeper and you need to go through dense brush, and up talus/rosk slopes on all fours. you can come down from cascade pass through perlton basin, but that is really long and the decent down to the lake itlsef is very steep and grassy, and also hard to get through, but do-able.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun May 18, 2003 8:44 pm 
You can see part of Trapper Lake from Sahale arm if you are in the right spot. I wonder if you can see the whole thing if your at the top of the peak? I guess if it is winter you don't need to worry about brush. I just stumbled on this length link on the park's history.

Blake

Blake
PostSun May 18, 2003 8:54 pm 
You can also see it ( as well as GReenview lake) from Goode Ridge, I can't remember, but it way be visible from Macgregor too.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun May 18, 2003 9:04 pm 
Is Goode Ridge a technical climb or is it hike-able?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 18, 2003 9:23 pm 
Well to/for me if best equals long then that's just fine! Best NEVER equals brush! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 18, 2003 11:10 pm 
I've been in Trapper via Cascade Pass. It's a long trek but not that difficult. The lake is huge. I remember looking down from the ridge above thinking, wohoo, I'm almost there. It's a loooong way down. wink.gif Don't expect solitude. When we were there 10 years ago there were 3 other parties, including a ranger.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon May 19, 2003 7:57 am 
I've been to Trapper and several of the out of the way lakes near South Pass.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Blake

Blake
PostMon May 19, 2003 1:56 pm 
Goode Ridge is a 10 mile RT hike (steep) but not a climb at all. Goode Mtn. is a technical climb though, and a good deal higher. Trapper is far less visitied now than it would have been 10, or even 5 years ago. Now that the Stehkin Road is washed out for the last ~3 miles, the hike is longer and done much less, especially from that side. Brian, have you been two a couple of lakes (one larger) about 3/4 mile on a rough trek/trail south of South Pass?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon May 19, 2003 10:33 pm 
Yeah, I've been to those lakes south of South Pass. The large lake is known as Tamarack or Dee Dee Lake. The smaller lake is called Lower Dee Dee Lake. There was lots of small rock fall coming off McAlester Mtn when I was there.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
IBEX

IBEX
PostTue May 20, 2003 3:33 pm 
I spent four wonderful days peak bagging around McAleaster Pass in August of 2001. I came in by following Bridge Creek downstream from Highway 20. While going in to my base at Hidden Meadows, I met two fishermen that were just leaving McAleaster Lake. They said they were going out early because there arms were too sore from hauling in all their catch. Too bad for them I guess. Later while “Peaking” along Rainbow Ridge, I saw two more Idiot Stickers at Lake 6111. But I didn’t notice what type of luck they had. Finally I strolled over to South Pass to check out the route to climb McAleaster Mountain. I found sporadic evidence of a boot track to Lake 6303 (Tamarack?). But a rain squall turned me back to High Camp. I’ll have to go back for McAleaster Mountain and then maybe I’ll bring one of those Idiot Sticks when I return. biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Blake

Blake
PostTue May 20, 2003 5:17 pm 
That's awesome that you've been there Brian, that's probably my favorite place in the world, and I like to think of it as my own little spot, but it's clearly somewhat visited, even if there is no "official" trail. Lake 6111 is an odd one in terms of fishing. Some years it seems to have some monsters in there and other years nothign at all (there might be no natural reproduction). Anyone been up Rainbow or Upper Rainbow Lake? Hidden Meadows in another out of the way gem, I heard that the NPS wants to cut off the trail from Mcalester pass up to the camp.