Forum Index > Gear Talk > Ice Axes - Anyone need a good axe cheap?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 12:36 pm 
For sale: Grivel Mont Blanc 75cm axe. Air tech head. Slightly used. cheap! Wild Country Mountain Technology 65cm axe. Slightly used. cheap!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 2:45 pm 
I may be interested in the Grivel depending on price and what Allison wants. I'll double check the length needed NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 9:17 pm 
Roger. I am waiting with anticipation on both of you.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 1:05 pm 
I do, too, but I think I need 65 or 70 in length. Got one of those for sale for cheap? tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 1:26 pm 
Hey feeline, I'd automatically say yes, but Al got the 62cm Wild Country, and the NOT so Newbie Newt asked about the Grivel. He gets the grivel if he wants it because he asked about it first. If he doesnt want it you can have it. They both are very high quality axe's. It turns out the Grivel is 72cm. So there it is. If you want to talk to Newt and see if he wants it go ahead.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 3:28 pm 
So B. Joe, are you lightening up to a different axe? Perhaps a Grivel Air Tech Racing, Ushba Altai Titanium, or maybe even rolling the dice on an aluminum head Cassin Ghost?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 3:35 pm 
I want Just need to know $, when & where NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 4:28 pm 
I have the airtech racing and a Cassin Ghost. That's why I'm getting rid of the others. Newt, email me personally please.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jan 12, 2002 10:23 am 
Backpacker...You get my mail? NN smile.gif

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostSun Jan 13, 2002 1:14 am 
I am most impressed with the new BD "The Raven". If I could go back in time i would get this one, and if I ever bend or break my current one, I am all over the Raven. 1lb, 1 oz! The best thing is that it is comfortable to walk and self belay with. I know of everythig I've done with mine, your hands get tired and uncomfortable after awhile, especially after 8-10 hours of uninterrupted use. BD "The Raven" and the Price is right!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 13, 2002 12:42 pm 
That's a nice tool , but for my purposes its to heavy. This axe is for seldom (almost never) used, but just in case spring summer high country snow field crossings. The ghost weighs 9, nine, IIIIIIII, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine bloody ounces! Turbo (diesel) light! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 13, 2002 4:00 pm 
Actually, I saw the Raven over at Marmot Mountain works a few weeks back and was also very impressed. Something about it felt just right. It was a tad heavier than the Air Tech Racing, but as Scott pointed out to me in a separate communication the air tech has some "disclaimers" in the manual. As far as the ghost, I agree, that is a super light axe but I'd be a little timid crossing a glacier with that thing. I think I am going to go for the Ushba Altai titanium axe. It is both light and strong, and while it may seem expensive, it's actually cheaper (at my favorite 20% off store) than the ghost + air tech.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 2:25 pm 
Thomas, where is your fav 20% off store? Come on, let your PALS in on the info.. TB

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 08, 2002 1:12 am 
Backpacker Joe, that would be wildernet.com biggrin.gif.