Forum Index > Trail Talk > R U a Cupper, Water Bottler, or Potter?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon May 19, 2003 3:28 pm 
I stopped bring a cup on my outings becuase I needed to save weight. So now I just drink out of my bladder. I never drink anything hot. You lightweight freaks out there, have you dropped the cup idea too and drink out of your water bottle or drink out of a pot?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Blake

Blake
PostMon May 19, 2003 5:33 pm 
I use one of those water bottles that filters it as I drink, and a regular Nalgene Bottle. If unclean, I can filter into the Nalgene, and have two bottles full until next water.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 19, 2003 5:52 pm 
I like hot chocolate in the morning. I bring along an insulated paper cup that barely registers on the scale.

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostMon May 19, 2003 6:10 pm 
I drink out of the bottle but if I backpack I bring a cup. I punch holes in the cup to make it more lightweight.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostMon May 19, 2003 6:41 pm 
Drink and eat from the same "bowl": a margarine/whipped butter/cottage cheese/whatever container. Weighs less than air and costs less. Drilling holes in a cup is really dumb, polarbear. Nobody is gonna believe that. Sheesh, it'll leak, won't it? Or am I missing something?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon May 19, 2003 9:36 pm 
I went overboard on the ultralight kick last year-to the point I ate only out of freezer ziploc bags-I carried a tiny tea kettle, a lexan spoon and a 1/2 oz measuring cup that doubled as my cup. YAY!! UL heaven.......I ate enough Stove Top Stuffin' for 20 people last summer ...... I carried my bladder, but I still carried one nagalene bottle, heavy as they are, they won't break. If I am on a trail with lots of water I usually leave the nagalene at home and carry my water bottle purifer and I just scoop and drink!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostMon May 19, 2003 10:05 pm 
Hey Sarbar, those pop bottles, liter size, work amazingly well as a water bottle. I used one for an entire summer and was surprised it never failed. I finally bought a second bottle o' pop due to paranoia about the first one breaking.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 19, 2003 10:18 pm 
I just drink out of Stefan's bladder. Much easier than drinking out of my own. Can't figure out why he always yelps when I bite the bite valve though!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostMon May 19, 2003 10:57 pm 
Quote:
Drilling holes in a cup is really dumb, polarbear. Nobody is gonna believe that. Sheesh, it'll leak, won't it? Or am I missing something?
The object is to save weight or rather get rid of it, and if it leaks then you save even more. I notice holes in the bottom get rid of the most weight but holes in the sides are ok too. Also, people should blow their nose before they start hiking, especially if the snot is heavy. Don't pack it in if you don't have to. up.gif

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostTue May 20, 2003 1:53 am 
those little plastic cups that came in old "palco" style mess kits weigh almost nothing, are graduated to use as a measuring cup and almost indestructable. i think "open country" cups are the same thing, saw them on rei's website. a cup is great for using as a mixing bowl (gravy mix works best if you mix it with a little cold water, then add it to whatever is cooking in the pot. avoids lumps that way..)

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue May 20, 2003 7:06 am 
Yep that is where I got my 2 measuring/drinking cups-one is fugly green the other is hideous red biggrin.gif But they are pretty durable for weighing 1/2 oz! Funniest thing is, I haven't used the mess kit they came in for years!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 20, 2003 9:33 am 
allison wrote:
I just drink out of Stefan's bladder. Much easier than drinking out of my own. Can't figure out why he always yelps when I bite the bite valve though!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Art is an adventure.
Karen

Karen
PostTue May 20, 2003 1:44 pm 
The Camel
No problem for me -- I almost never drink water. My friends used to call me the Camel. I've heard of people that train to run in hot, dry climates that don't drink water. It's part of their training. Wish I could remember -- it may have been Apache runners. Anyway they were able to run/walk long distances without water. Not that I am trying to emulate them. I just don't get thirsty. But I do carry water and water treatment tabs. I'm not much into "gear" and have never used a filtering system. Karen PS If you are new to this forum, don't do as I do. Drink plenty of water! I'm the one that's out of whack.

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Karen

Karen
PostTue May 20, 2003 1:44 pm 
The Camel
No problem for me -- I almost never drink water. My friends used to call me the Camel. I've heard of people that train to run in hot, dry climates that don't drink water. It's part of their training. Wish I could remember -- it may have been Apache runners. Anyway they were able to run/walk long distances without water. Not that I am trying to emulate them. I just don't get thirsty. But I do carry water and water treatment tabs. I'm not much into "gear" and have never used a filtering system. Karen PS If you are new to this forum, don't do as I do. Drink plenty of water! I'm the one that's out of whack.

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Larry

Larry
PostTue May 20, 2003 7:43 pm 
Karen wrote:
Speaking of out of whack...when you going to show us some more images from your mind, Karen?