Forum Index > Trail Talk > first hike/camp of the season
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treewalker

treewalker
PostTue May 20, 2003 6:41 pm 
OK, I know I am late to the game, but I've been snowboarding like a madman and also working. Now I am unemployed and me and my rad backpacker girlfriend are set to go on a multi-night trip this weekend. We'd like to spend Saturday and Sunday nights and were thinking that the Thunder Creek trail to McAllister camp in the North Cascades National Park looked good. I read in another thread on this board that it was snow free 2 months ago, so maybe there's something higher/better/more old growth/views/deeper in the park we should check out? Bonuses for us include wildflowers, waterfalls, mossy boulders, vistas, and seclusion. Any other suggestions? Any suggestions outside NCNP? I've never been to NCNP so I kinda wanted to try it. Also, some comments on the following would be appreciated: If we do the thunder creek - mcallister camp hike: how busy will it be? any chance of us not getting a spot? what will the weather/temps be like this weekend? where does the snow start on the trail? Any other info you deem useful would be great. Also, please check out my photo gallery of photos from past hiking trips. Thanks a bunch! Josh http://www.undertone.com

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treewalker

treewalker
PostTue May 20, 2003 6:41 pm 
oh, also, are fires allowed?

IBEX

IBEX
PostTue May 20, 2003 10:54 pm 
Treewalker, The volunteers/employees at Marblemount Ranger Station will be glad to field all your questions regarding North Cascades National Park Complex. http://www.nps.gov/noca/permits.htm The permits are free, But the Parks Service want to look you in the eye and talk about Leave Not Trace, human waste and hanging your food bag away from bears/rodents. The people at Marblemount boast to have the most current and comprehensive information on backcountry conditions and can best assist with trip planning.

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
treewalker

treewalker
PostTue May 20, 2003 11:31 pm 
thanks for the info dude... Man, I've been reading these boards all day and I feel like this is the most sane and mellow discussion board I have ever seen on the internet. I have found my home! moon.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 21, 2003 12:07 am 
Mellow? Usually hockeygrin.gif Sane? Debatable embarassedlaugh.gif

Larry

Larry
PostWed May 21, 2003 6:03 am 
Tom wrote:
Mellow? Usually hockeygrin.gif Sane? Debatable embarassedlaugh.gif
Tom: Good link to a scary picture... lol.gif Karen's "Swamp Thing" is pretty cool. I'm just wondering, has this new guy been introduced to Allison and BPJ? lol.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 21, 2003 7:08 am 
Treewalker, Check out the trip report titled "Fourth of July Pass" by Snowbound on May 15th at wta.org. This trail comes off the Thunder Creek trail if you want something a little longer and more challenging than McAllister camp. I hiked to McA. camp on April 15th and it was great. You can also read my trip report posted here to get an idea of what you'd see. biggrin.gif

treewalker

treewalker
PostWed May 21, 2003 7:58 am 
Cool, at this point it's looking like Friday, we will drive and car-camp at Colonial or Newhalem. Then Saturday hike to McAllister. Where would be a good place to go for Sunday night??? Preferably somewhere within the NP.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed May 21, 2003 9:50 am 
If you are going to car camp, do it at Goodell Creek CG, right before the turn off for the Newhalem visitor center, it is a nice, small NP CG, that doesn't have all the amenities of Newhalem or Colonial but it is way nicer for tranquility! It is the only CG they keep open in the winter-me and the BF stayed there numerous times this past winter and it was the best frontcountry place I have stayed (of course, good weather and tourons in trailers could change that fast!!) We liked it due to how many bald eagles there were and the sound of the creek at night.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.