Locke's veto keeps trapping ban

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu May 22, 2003 6:39 am 
The last house I lived at was plagued by moles. We ignored the law and used the shish-kabob traps anyway. The little buggers do a lot of damage both to the lawn and to the garden. I understand that most people don't want to see animals being tortured by the traps, but this was a poorly drafted bill and one I don't intend to follow when it comes to the underground hellions.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 22, 2003 8:33 am 
Well said, and correct. Another example of reactionary feel good fluff, without common sense or substance!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 22, 2003 10:49 am 
The ban should not include moles, our pasture is overrun with moles and they cause severe risk to our animals, not to mention the twisted ankles each of us has sustained from stepping in old holes covered over with tall grass. We've tried everything and everything, but the only thing that works are the traps I'm not saying I possess any of, they're illegal after all. The cats only get half of them, the traps we don't have get the rest! rolleyes.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostThu May 22, 2003 1:51 pm 
Locke’s veto message said the following: “Early this session, I supported legislation that would have addressed the specific problems associated with Initiative 713. This legislation would have allowed the use of traps on moles, gophers and mountain beavers, and provided additional protections for livestock. At that time, I also indicated my opposition to legislation that would repeal the core principles underlying the initiative. Whenever possible, improvements to address unintended consequences of an initiative should be pursued before consideration of a repeal. Because this bill effectively repeals the initiative, even though an alternative legislative solution exists to address the problems of the initiative, I have vetoed the bill in its entirety. “We need to put this issue behind us by looking for ways we can creatively implement solutions, rather than perpetuate problems. With this message, I am requesting members of the Fish and Wildlife Commission to closely oversee DFW’s implementation of Initiative 713, consistent with its spirit and intent. Specifically, I would like the Commission to recommend changes to help protect livestock and reduce damage to public property, and to conduct an educational outreach program around the state that explains the availability of the special permit program allowed under Initiative 713.” The governor’s message also said, “In the meantime, I also would expect that given current financial constraints, DFW would use its limited enforcement resources on higher priorities rather than against homeowners, businesses and the timber industry that have trapped for moles, gophers and mountain beavers. I would like the Commission Chair to provide me with a report in person by December 1, 2003.” Locke panders to the animal rights activists and and the same time tells WDFW to look the other way if injured parties continue to dispatch the offending pests. Just don't try to make a coat out of the critters.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
An Observer

An Observer
PostThu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm 
I wasn't aware that 55% of the voters were animal rights activists supporting initiative 713!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 22, 2003 3:07 pm 
Looks like he's mealy mouthing it to me. I shouldn't need a "special permit" simply to deal with moles. The law should be changed to exclude mole traps. All of us having dealt with permits know what kind of further problems this invites. Once you get the eyes and minds of these folks involved in what you're trying to do on your property, one is generally sorry they did. If Gov Locke thinks I'm going to voluntarily involve myself in a permitting system guaranteed to bring my existence and activities to the attention of this state and it's army of permit happy environmeddlers and minor martinets, in order to deal with a species that is most definitely the complete opposite of endangered, on my own property!!.....he's got another think coming. moon.gif This kind of stuff is what invites and engenders disrespect for the law, for very good reason. It also shows precisely why the state budget is constantly out of control no matter how much cash feeds it. Instead of simply changing the law to exclude moles, and that being that, problem handled, no outreach no special permits .....we'll now pay for a special permit program, it's administration, enforcement, and other costs, and then on top of it an outreach to make people aware of the special permit program, adding in the costs of the outreach program. What a screwed up way to do things and exactly why no matter how much we shovel into the rapacious maw of the state govt, the mindset there insures every cent and more will be necessary.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu May 22, 2003 3:40 pm 
If I'm not mistaken, the initiative was poorly worded, so the voters didn't realize the ban included pests like moles and gophers. Obviously if they had known this I doubt it would have passed. I don't know why the mole and gopher issue wasn't brought to the voters attention by someone before the election. This whole issue at least for homeowners is a moot point- officials aren't going to come after you if you use the banned traps on moles and gophers. Unfortunately the most effective mole trap (the scissors type) is among those banned, but you can buy it at Home Depot! What's up with that? Where the ban is really ridiculous is with commercial pest control folks and city & county parks depts. Marymoor Park in Redmond last year was overrun with molehills, and for the life of me I can't understand how an obvious safety issue was allowed to be. The county also is handcuffed by their visibility to effectively deal with the problem with the best traps.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 22, 2003 3:45 pm 
A nitpick... while I agree the state will not come after you for breaking the law in this regard, the problem is that properly written laws do not need to be ignored in order to function as intended. It's a real problem when sections of the law is sorta intended to be ignored, or has it's supposed enforcers ignoring it on purpose when they feel like it, instead of being written properly in the first place.

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostFri May 23, 2003 10:21 am 
An Observer wrote:
I wasn't aware that 55% of the voters were animal rights activists supporting initiative 713!
55% of the people who voted on the initiative were either animal rights activists or people misled into thinking it was a good law by same activists. The issue about banning trapping of "pests" like moles was pointed out to the drafters of the initiative. They deliberately retained the original wording, hoping for a home run. Thanks to our initiative process, they got their home run with a simple majority of voters, supplied by the tri-county voter base of the puget sound. If you voted for it, what was your motivation? Were you swayed by the emotionally tinged TV spots showing an animal in trap? Did you think that you would be exempt from any restriction on your right to protect your property or safety from various fur bearing pests? Is this how we should manage wildlife or any other natural resource in the state? As much as I may struggle with WDFW on various work related issues, I still would prefer to rely on them to provide science based management guidelines rather than an uninformed, emotionally motivated voter.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri May 23, 2003 10:51 am 
I prefer the Caddy Shack method of dealing with the underground critters. Plastic. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
mole

mole
PostFri May 23, 2003 4:01 pm 
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the initiative was poorly worded, so the voters didn't realize the ban included pests like moles and gophers
I believe the voter's pamphlet mentioned the inclusion of pests in the pros/cons section. Some voters may have worse eyesight than us moles. suuure.gif As more me, I feel as if I've been granted a new lease on life and with unfettered access to the parks, tunneling goes like a hot knife through butter. What is a mole to do with so much extra time on her hands?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri May 23, 2003 4:33 pm 
Well I'm one of the few voters out there who actually reads the voters pamphlet and I don't believe there was anything in even teeny tiny print that said anything about pests like gophers and moles. Like I said earlier, I'm surprised that any opponents of the ban didn't bring this up before the election. Me and many of the others who voted for the initative would have had second thoughts if we knew moles like yourself would be prevented from being eradicated.