Forum Index > Trail Talk > ok need camp suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treewalker

treewalker
PostWed May 21, 2003 8:04 pm 
Alright, my plans to go to North Cascades NP have been dashed by the weather reports. I need suggestions for an amazingly nice and secluded forest/lakes/river area on the eastern side of the cascade crest... We need drive up car camping and also would like trails around in the area. Our backup plan is Ingalls creek, and the 2-3 sites right near the trailhead there. Any other suggestions? Oh, and I need to know asap. Thanks, Josh

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed May 21, 2003 8:20 pm 
car camping
you might go to greenwater lakes on this side of chinook/cayuse pass by the town of greenwater . fs. road is the only major one just s. of greenwater 1-2miles (its paved ,just stay on it till the trail-head on the right for green watr lakes. just past this right is good camp spot. AND the 1-2 mile hike to the ponds is great. or car camp on the e. side of chinook pass down in the valley. agree.gif

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostWed May 21, 2003 9:14 pm 
I wonder if you can drive to Cooper Lake yet and what the camping is like there?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
treewalker

treewalker
PostThu May 22, 2003 8:27 am 
greenwater is on the west side of the cascade crest and therefore should be rained upon this weekend... Thanks anyway Any other suggestions for central washington camping?

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu May 22, 2003 1:07 pm 
Camping
Try Salmon La Sac or along the Waptus river. Where ever you go it's probaly going to be crowded being a 3 day weekend. You can hike up the Waptus River 10 miles to Waptus Lake- If it's thawed out. There are many camping spots along the way.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 22, 2003 3:02 pm 
I'd scope the map in the Nachez/Mt Aix region E of Rainier and the Cascade crest. It's usually very dry there and doesn't get near the visitation it deserves, even on busy weekends. There are couple small lakes, but the real bonus is dryness, tons upon tons of car camping sites, and the ability right now to simply go to the snowline and have sufficient water.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
happycamper

happycamper
PostThu May 22, 2003 4:36 pm 
SALMON LA SAC
Salmon La Sac should offer the best degree of relative solitude and wild aspects.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 22, 2003 7:19 pm 
Salmon le Sac? Solitude? Memorial Day? These words manage to stay on the same page? That place is a zoo half the summer, with the Mem day kickoff one of the worst! When you're heading in and passing through Ronald at the tail end of a massive caravan of RV's and SUV's that makes the Iraq invasion look like three cars in line at McDonalds, just remember who warned ya! Just my humble opinion. rolleyes.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu May 22, 2003 8:42 pm 
Tucannon River Trail Panjab Creek/Turkey Creek Trails Oregon Butte Wenaha River Trail OK OK...so they are in the Tucannon-Wenaha Wilderness...but they will be drier than our west slopes more likely (not always however) and not as crowded as Salmon la Packed. biggrin.gif

treewalker

treewalker
PostThu May 22, 2003 11:59 pm 
thanks for the advice man

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri May 23, 2003 6:24 am 
Alan mentioned
Quote:
Oregon Butte
Last weekend, the road 3 miles from Godman Springs was totally blocked by snow. I got stopped near Edmiston springs Give it two weeks for a complete melt out. The skyline drive that leads to Godman Springs is one of the best kept secrets in Washington State.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri May 23, 2003 9:23 am 
Tiffany Butte area west of Loomis. All the times I have been there I have never seen anyone. Several Campgrounds in the area and I think they are free--but not sure. Sorry, I don't know about the snow level over there right now.

Art is an adventure.