Forum Index > Gear Talk > are water filters allways a must?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Edweird Mesa

Edweird Mesa
PostThu May 22, 2003 4:41 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
because a filter weighs too much or is too much trouble, hey, go for it.
I heard there was a nice filter left near Snow Creek Wall last August! curse.gif A strong party of 4 left it there on their way to 5 days in 'Chants because of these very reasons doh.gif confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostThu May 22, 2003 7:30 pm 
This may have been discussed before also, but what is everyone's experience with pink snow. Does it have sinister side effects as well?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu May 22, 2003 7:58 pm 
Edweird Mesa wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
because a filter weighs too much or is too much trouble, hey, go for it.
I heard there was a nice filter left near Snow Creek Wall last August! curse.gif A strong party of 4 left it there on their way to 5 days in 'Chants because of these very reasons doh.gif confused.gif
Yep. I had faith that the owners of the filters we did take up there knew how to field-maintain and -repair them. shakehead.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu May 22, 2003 9:40 pm 
Yep. They did, and you used them the whole trip.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 22, 2003 10:06 pm 
Please don't listen to Gordy Comer on this one! If ten out of a hundred people are immune to Giardia, they would naturally tell the other ninety they had nothing to worry about! Also, the "I got sick" stories are not second or third hand, but are being posted by some of the people who got sick themselves. Also, this has nothing to do with someone who gets diarrhea or cramps while on a trip, which could have come "from home". Giardia has a multi-week incubation, so the sickness would only appear well after a trip. It usually doesn't go away without medical treatment, which is very nasty in its own right. Drinking water from upstream of other campers CANNOT prevent Giardia, since it comes from wildlife such as deer. I might as well say you will never be in a car accident, since I have never been in one! My prediction would turn out to be right for most people, but would be nonsense none the less. However, if someone really hated filtering or boiling, it might be worth taking the chance to find out if you are immune/resistant. Only you will suffer the consequences, so there is no moral imperative at work.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri May 23, 2003 2:04 am 
Steve wrote:
To me they are a must. I got sick on the lake water on Waptus many years ago, bacteria most likely. I woke up in the middle of the night with a splitting headache and subsequent fierce diahrea hurl.gif We did not have filters back then and my friend, "I thought these two year old iodine tablets were still good." was not informed enough to know to throw those things away after one season. I always carry a filter now.
yes, iodine tablets do have a short shelf life which is why i carry the polar pure bottle. it has an extremely long life, basically if visible crystals exist in the bottle it still works. i've only had to use mine about 5 times, so it's still new.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri May 23, 2003 6:32 am 
Quote:
Giardia has a multi-week incubation, so the sickness would only appear well after a trip.
True, which is why I believe it was bacterial. Bacteria will affect you relatively quickly. This is not to completely discount a source other than the water, but I believe the possibility is good.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
foofoofunky

foofoofunky
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 1:57 pm 
washing dishes in rivers
We use biodegradable soap to wash our dishes in the rivers. Is even this frowned upon? Just curious.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 2:02 pm 
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't all soap bio-degradable? confused.gif

Marmot

Marmot
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 2:44 pm 
foofoofunky, yes, using any kind of a soap in the rivers and lakes is frowned upon. Even biodegradable soaps can harm organisms that live in the water. Washing anything with soap, you should be dumping the soapy water, and rinse water well away from water sources (100 feet? 200 feet? not sure the "proper" distance) Tom, no not all soaps are biodegradable. I dont' understand it well enough to expain it well. But suffice it to say that the presence of synthesized chemicals in most soaps make them non-biodegradable.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 2:51 pm 
I know many of the household detergents like (laundry, dishwashing) contain phosphorous compounds that don't break down naturally. I wonder if people soap is the same?