Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help! PCT Canadian border to Rainy Pass questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 22, 2003 5:49 am 
I want to hike the PCT from Canada to Rainy pass this summer/fall, and I have several questions for anyone who has been there. How do I get to the Canadian border on the PCT other than by hiking up FROM Hart's pass? Is there a shorter/better way from the Canadian side? Also, my TOPO! software shows the PCT disappearing part way up the Methow river, and never reaching Methow pass or continuing to Rainy pass. According to Topo, I should go over Mebee pass to East Creek and then walk 12 miles down Highway 20 to Rainy pass! Is there some patch or route that I can download from somewhere, or should I just try to freehand it in using my Washington Atlas which shows the trail but lacks detail and topo lines? No hurry as this trip is tentatively scheduled for late August/early September.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
REJ

REJ
PostThu May 22, 2003 7:10 am 
You might find this website useful: PCT North Cascades

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu May 22, 2003 7:28 am 
I too wanted to do this hike but kept finding out that the gov't puts up a big stink if you go that way frown.gif I was going to have somebody drive me up to Canada then over to the park, drive in and drop me off. It wouldn't have been fun though so I may just wait and do a roundtrip of that section. Good luck though!!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu May 22, 2003 8:07 am 
Have you considered hiking the opposite direction? By that I mean from Hart's Pass to Manning Provincial Park where a co-conspirator would pick you up. I'm thinking that crossing into Canada would be safer (easier, less hassle) than trying the same into the US, what with Ashcroft's boyz on constant chartreuse alert eek.gif and all.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 22, 2003 8:51 am 
My goal is to do the entire length of the PCT in Washington, so I guess the direction is optional. Thanks for the info on Manning Provincial Park. I was worried that a round trip might be more than I could do in one go, but having routed it in TOPO! from Hart's pass, I think it would be doable, and hiking a section twice is twice as good! I could then do Hart to Rainy at a later date. REJ, thanks for the link. biggrin.gif It made me happy! Please keep the info coming, it won't be wasted.

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostThu May 22, 2003 11:16 am 
It's about 6 or 7 mile forest walk from the highway through Manning Park to the border. Greyhound stopped there when I did it in '99. Some of the guidebooks don't mention this extra walk! They stop explaining the route at the border. It's a pretty easy walk, gradual gain for the most part. Should be lots of info on pcthiker.net or .com or whatever they call it. There is also an email list for PCT folks that is fun to join.... but I forget the name of it...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
IBEX

IBEX
PostThu May 22, 2003 4:18 pm 
Slugman wrote:
TOPO! software shows the PCT disappearing part way up the Methow river, and never reaching Methow pass or continuing to Rainy pass.
S-man, You can update your TOPO! with the Parks Service trail file at MapXchange. http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/file.cfm?fileid=150 ...

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
3fngrs

3fngrs
PostThu May 22, 2003 6:36 pm 
if your goal is to do the whole Wash. section of the PCT you may want to consider getting Jeff (?) Schaeffers book of the PCT. The Wash. section is combined with Ore. but it has all the maps, trail descriptions, water info and other beta that you would need. It's like 15 bucks or so but you could easily spend that and more on Green Trail maps which also show the PCT.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 22, 2003 9:20 pm 
I get a warm and fuzzy feeling at how cool and helpful and knowledgable everyone is. GROUP HUG!!!!!