Forum Index > Trip Reports > Milk Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostFri May 23, 2003 8:18 pm 
We decided to hike up Milk Creek in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. !00 miles from Seattle to trailhead. Suiattle river road is as good as any forest road gets. This is a wonderful forest hike among ancient trees! We were surprised that on this summerly day we didn't run into anyone else until the afternoon. A couple horsemen and a single hiker arrived up in the meadows when we were busy soaking in the view of Glacier Peak and looking at flowers. We observed a couple of Red-Breasted Sapsuckers and watched an American Dipper in his creek territory.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSat May 24, 2003 9:34 am 
Sounds like a wonderful day. I need to explore this area more. Did you shoot the lewisia in the forest or near rocks? It looks like a forest shot. Lewisia columbiana typically grows in rocky terrain. The 5 petal flower and forest setting makes me think it might be Spring Beauty instead; Claytonia lanceolata. - marta

Ulrich

Ulrich
PostSat May 24, 2003 9:44 am 
This flower shot was taken on an open, sun exposed meadow with some small rock formations in between.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSat May 24, 2003 4:51 pm 
I can't tell for certain without seeing a leaf. Lewisia and Claytonia are closely related. The leaves of Lewisia are usually low growing somewhat succulent. Claytonia and Montia have leaves on a stem. Also Lewisia columbia typically has 6-9 petals on the flower. Nice pictures. Makes me want to be there. Even in the rain. - marta

kiliki

kiliki
PostSat May 24, 2003 8:43 pm 
I hiked Milk Creek today and saw only one other couple the entire day. There were only seven cars at the th (on Sat. of Memorial Day weekend!). The road (fs 26) and the trail are in great shape. There is a stream crossing at about 1.5 miles that I wish I had brought my poles for, but other hikers had left walking sticks at both sides of the crossing. We only went to the first meadow (where the skies really opened up on us), but the ranger report at the th said that the trail had been cleared for 7.5 miles and that the snow level in the area was at 4500'.