Forum Index > Trip Reports > Low Divide
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostTue May 27, 2003 8:18 pm 
Hey everybody, Tasslehouf and I used the memorial day weekend to go to low divide. The trip was wonderful! We got a late start on Sat. it was about 12 noon. Made it to Elip Creek with a few showers but not to wet. From there we decided to push on to trapper shelter with the rain diminishing. We still had some daylight left so we pushed on to the twelve mile shelter just before the river crossing. I It was late getting into the shelter area and it was raining again so we stayed in the shelter with another hiker and the mice! frown.gif Woke up late sun. partly from the mice and the twelve mile push biggrin.gif We decided to day hike into the divide so we headed out about noon. The river crossing wasn't bad at all, it was about knee deep but real cold! We then started the switchbacks up to the divide and didn't hit deep snow until the first livestock gate. The meadows in the divide are all under about 4-6 feet of snow but the giant rock in the middle (which my family calls marmot rock) was high and dry. The waterfalls were all at maximum flow and the sun broke out for awhile making the valley a beautiful site to behold. We trudged and fell through the snow over to the ranger station and the campsites at the north end of the valley. We ate a quick snack and decided not to go over and see lake mary & margaret because it was starting to get later. After following our footsteps back down through the meadows we made our way back down to the twelve mile shelter. On our way back down we meet a fellow hiker who had tried to hike the skyline but made the wise decision not to go through with it. Mon. we hiked back out to the trail head with nice weather all the way. All in all the trail is in pretty good shape with just a few blow downs. I will get some pics. soon, I don't have a digital camera but tasslehouf did so you'll have to wait for the pics. I plan on doing this hike again soon but going all the way through to the Port Angles side. So if there is anyone who wants to tag along let me know. WrongBridge

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tasslehouf

tasslehouf
PostTue May 27, 2003 11:40 pm 
This was an amazingly beautiful trip! up.gif As soon as I can work out the soreness bawl.gif I'll have some amazing pictures posted for those who are intereted.

tasslehouf

tasslehouf
PostThu May 29, 2003 2:04 am 
Ack well turns out my lense was dirty for about half the pictures rant.gif but I posted some anyway! tongue.gif http://community.webshots.com/album/74819582GBrExa?912 enjoy up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu May 29, 2003 7:33 am 
I'd be screaming too if I was standing barefoot in that water crossing!! Good shot wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Larry

Larry
PostThu May 29, 2003 10:06 am 
sarbar wrote:
I'd be screaming too if I was standing barefoot in that water crossing!! Good shot wink.gif
Several days ago I was wading Graves Creek in the Quinault Valley at dawn. Water was swift and getting up to my err...crotch. I kept trying to get on my tiptoes and trying to dance across to keep my "boys" out of that spinning, deathly cold maelstrom of hydrogen and oxygen. No luck...by the time I got to the far bank, my voice was the same pitch as the Water Ouzel that was screeching like some kind of smart-aleck as he "cruised missiled" his way down the creek. mad.gif Can you feel my pain? bawl.gif I love to whine. huh.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu May 29, 2003 11:58 am 
Larry wrote:
sarbar wrote:
Several days ago I was wading Graves Creek in the Quinault Valley at dawn. Water was swift and getting up to my err...crotch. I kept trying to get on my tiptoes and trying to dance across to keep my "boys" out of that spinning, deathly cold maelstrom of hydrogen and oxygen. No luck...by the time I got to the far bank, my voice was the same pitch as the Water Ouzel that was screeching like some kind of smart-aleck as he "cruised missiled" his way down the creek. mad.gif Can you feel my pain? bawl.gif I love to whine. huh.gif
You've got some icecubes...er, balls there my friend. I certainly wouldn't get mine in water that cold... eek.gif

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu May 29, 2003 12:59 pm 
I can kind of semi-top that--when hiking down Wenas Creek on a fish catching, frog killing expedition-I was probably skipping school- I was wading down the creek when I came across a new wire stretched across the creek-without thinking I stepped over the wire with my right leg then lightly touched the wire in the crotch area--It was ELECTRIFIED. eek.gif

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Larry

Larry
PostThu May 29, 2003 2:58 pm 
Dslayer wrote:
I can kind of semi-top that--when hiking down Wenas Creek on a fish catching, frog killing expedition-I was probably skipping school- I was wading down the creek when I came across a new wire stretched across the creek-without thinking I stepped over the wire with my right leg then lightly touched the wire in the crotch area--It was ELECTRIFIED. eek.gif
I concede to your pain, Dslayer. suuure.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri May 30, 2003 7:42 am 
Hey, Wrongbridge, you should change your name to NoBridge! biggrin.gif Sounds like a great hike!