Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deception Creek Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostFri May 30, 2003 1:47 pm 
This was another short hike my friend Kathe and I did on Thursday. Couldn't count the number of times I've driven by there and meant to stop (other than to use the restroom) and never did. In summer this is a pretty popular nature trail but it's still pretty quiet this time of the year, especially mid-week. A half mile loop goes down to where the Tye River comes in and around Deception Creek. With the snow melt this was an incredible experience and I went through an entire roll of film in one spot. We meant to spend about 20 minutes and spent an hour. The only reason we didn't stay longer is that Kathe had to get back for a concert rehearsal. Along the with the torrents of water the lighting was such that the falls were lit with "rainbows". I don't know what else to call them. The scenery along this tame little nature trail is quite dramatic to say the least. We did the loop and our way back were surprised by having to wade through a creek that had taken over the last part of the loop. Ordinarily not a big deal but we had already changed out of hiking boots and Kathe was wearing the shoes she was going to wear for the concert. Since we were pressed for time we had to go through the water to get her back in time. Bring at least 1,000 rolls of film! Karen
High water on Tye Creek
High water on Tye Creek

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri May 30, 2003 10:22 pm 
Nice photo Karen. Nice! McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Larry

Larry
PostSat May 31, 2003 7:50 am 
Nice angle on the creek. You really caught the "movement"...you can almost see and hear the roaring creek moving down the slot. Great shot.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat May 31, 2003 8:20 am 
Yes, very nice, Karen.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 31, 2003 8:59 am 
Intriguing photo. Even a rainbow I like it!! NN up.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Karen

Karen
PostSat May 31, 2003 3:49 pm 
Thank you all for your comments about the photo
I can't tell you how much fun it was to be there and experience the power and the passion of that river/waterfall. I've never seen anything like it. All this on a NATURE trail? Fortunately I had just put in a new roll of film in the SLR thinking I might take one or two photos but I ended up shooting the whole roll of film in about 10 minutes. Click, click, click! I just couldn't stop clicking!! I felt like I was under the spell of the gods of the waterfalls and trying in vain to capture the essence. I couldn't believe my luck in seeing the rainbows in the water -- that is pure magic and pure luck or are magic and luck the same? Who knows! I've got a bunch more photographs (prints) where the colors are even more intense than the digital photo I posted here. I may scan one or two of the better ones and they will OK here but if you try to print them out they won't be sharply focused (oh heck, you already know THAT). Never under-estimate the power of a nature trail .... Karen

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 31, 2003 4:14 pm 
Thanks for sharing Karen. I am finding that as I get older, I'm becoming more and more moved by how people are really moved by places and events. McPil does me in really bad. I also find that I'm being more moved by the things that I do, see and experience. Sometimes, words are very hard to come by. I found the falls up from Granite Falls that way once. In the fog, thundering and showing of it's fluidness. I have come to blame my emotions on getting older andthe feeling of the end approaching. "Too soon we grow old. Too late we grow smart." (Unknown) Looking forward to seeing some more. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Karen

Karen
PostSat May 31, 2003 4:33 pm 
When I was young I dreaded getting older. I really thought it was all over. I don't know how old you are but I am going to be 60 this year and I find that the plusses far outweigh the minuses (getting older), at least so far. There are unexpected gifts that come with aging that either people don't acknowledge or keep to themselves and one of them is this appreciation for the beauty of the moment which is a lot different from the hippie-era thing of things just "happening". I didn't say that very well but from your posts I deduce you are "old" enough to know of what I speak. I certainly have become more aware of mortality but also have become more aware of how beautiful and mysterious the cycle of life/death is and it's an honor to be a part of that. Make sense?? I could be a flea, a stone in the river, a rainbow in the waterfall, or an orange peel in a parking lot -- it's all part of the same process. Also, having lived this long I've seen a lot of the dark side (I mean the sorrows and tragedies that make up most of our lives) but as Somerset Maughn wrote, "The stars are best seen form the bottom of the hill" and boy, those stars are SURE bright sometimes. Every fall I think now to myself, "Will I live to see daffodils again?" and thoughts like, "Will I still be able to scramble next summer?" But I find that I have to give up some of the action in order to soak up the magic and ambience of "place". What is the point of rushing through a nature trail? I used to do back-to-back scrambles and climbs when I was younger and couldn't imagine a life without that sort of thing. Now, I still scramble but I also enjoy the days that I take it easy and take the time to check out something like "Deception Falls", which I would have sneered at in my younger, more competitive days. So far, so good. My knees are holding up and other than general slowing down I have been fortunate and have not suffered any injuries except those to the psyche (everyone gets those). In the last ten days I've done a scramble, several hikes, and experienced the power of the waterfall. It is the waterfall I will remember the longest. Truth is, we are running out of time. But making the most of it doesn't always mean doing it fast and hard. Sometimes it means stopping to save the time, to devour it -- rather than be devoured by it. It means things like learning flower identifcation and discovering history and exploring abandoned trails rather than setting records. I don't know about you but I suspect that like me, you will NEVER NEVER be bored. How could anyone? Charles Bukowski, the late poet had some great words .... "There are people who are young and nothing else, and people who are old and nothing else." Something like that. And he said, "I am old when it is fashionable to be young," but I think he must have been young when he wrote that line. If you know much about poetry or the lives of the poets you'll recall that Bukowski was a tortured soul to the very end though he managed to wrench a lot of beautiful words out of his torment and pain. If he were alive, I'd take him to that waterfall and set him down and leave him be. Someone should have done something like that for him -- then maybe he would have pried himself loose from the bars and stumbled into the forest rather than booze and horror. Karen

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat May 31, 2003 11:24 pm 
Karen wrote: "I couldn't believe my luck in seeing the rainbows in the water -- that is pure magic and pure luck or are magic and luck the same?" Some scenes or settings in photography are meant to happen at the exact specific time I believe, like your rushing water rainbow shot...if you are there to witness the moment and capture it on film, it is most certainly a magic moment. And anything that has some form of wonderful magic attached to it, is good for humanity and the earth itself. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com