Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Baker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 8:26 am 
On Sat a couple friends and I climbed Mt. Baker via the Heliotrope Ridge trail approach to the Coleman Glacier route. It was raining lightly on the way in along SR 542 which continued as we romped up the well travelled trail. I expected to fire up the GPS for travel on a fog shrouded glacier. The rain stopped at about 4900 feet elevation and the fog burned off at about 8000 feet. Baker came into view and we were dialed in for a successful outing. We cached our snowshoes next to an orphaned wand left by a previous party as it was apparent the snow consolidation was going to hold. A party of four from Surrey had camped high and preceeded us to the top. We followed in the deep steps which had been kicked. The rope and harness remained in my pack as we were able to zig-zag around the two large crevasses we encountered. There were other gaping maws seen on the glacier but not on the route. The low-lying clouds covered most of the peaks but we were rewarded to views of Shuksan, Black Buttes, and Twin Sisters. The fumeroles near the summit were belching out steam which had stained the surrounded snow/ice with yellow sulfur. On the descent the snow had turned to mush which made for great butt glissades and we zipped along with just the slightest angle for decline. We left the car at 0545 reached the summit at 1200 noon and were back to the car at 1600.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message