Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Problem with "topic reply" email notifications
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 22, 2024 10:42 pm 
I've been noticing an intermittency in receiving the admin email notices of replies to various threads I'm watching. It seems to have been happening for a few weeks. Some, from old threads I watch but haven't posted to recently still show up, others that I've posted to more recently, started, then the notices stop. Once I noticed, I made sure certain threads were still "checked" to follow the topic. Anyone else experiencing this?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 10:52 am 
Yes, I can't identify a pattern, but I have been receiving very few email notifications in the past month or so.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 12:15 pm 
Since I posted I've been looking at the topics I usually keep following, and they're definitely not showing up. And yet, the odd one or two does. I've begun to reset the "watch this post" toggle to see if that fixes things.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostWed Jan 31, 2024 1:09 pm 
Toggling it did not change anything for me. I didn't get a notification of your reply, and I don't believe I receive any for newer threads. I've received one notification out of the past 15 or so posts in the Name That Lake thread, which I've been subscribed to for awhile.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Feb 16, 2024 9:57 pm 
Well, this confirms it: I've not looked at the site for a few days, and had a PM from a member sitting in my inbox for which I didn't get an email notification. I'm going to PM Tom about it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 16, 2024 11:20 pm 
Did you check spam folder? Beyond that there's no reason emails wouldn't be sent other than server problems sending email.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Feb 17, 2024 9:29 am 
The last four DMs I've received didn't trigger email notifications (including Spam Folder). I also don't get thread bump notifications consistently either.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Feb 17, 2024 4:19 pm 
Tom, nothing from NWH is going into my spam folder. I checked, but why would it if gmail had been consistently sending the admin emails to my inbox? It would be hard to say at this point when I noticed the problem. I did a search in Gmail for the NWH admin address to pull up everything I've received in the last several months. It looks like some stuff has come through, other things not. One thing I noticed is that some of the threads I've followed for the longest time have stopped triggering email notices - like "Picture of the Day". But not getting notice of a PM stood out. I'll keep closer tabs on it and report again later. dizzy.gif

bk

bk
PostSat Feb 17, 2024 10:01 pm 
Zero email notifications for watched-topics, or for PMs, have worked in the past week or so for me...

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Feb 17, 2024 10:22 pm 
What SMTP provider do you use? As I understand it, most email clients mark email as spam or even drop it based on the sender's domain's "reputation". This is why it's difficult to self-host mail servers because almost all major clients like Gmail will drop mail from your domain. Provided everything is configured correctly, It's possible that other customer's usage of your provider has tanked its reputation and clients are starting to refuse the mail.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 17, 2024 10:46 pm 
In the phpbb configuration there is an option to use a SMTP server for email but it's not enabled, so I believe the software just uses the native php functions to send emails. I'm not having any issues getting notifications, seems limited to gmail accounts. I use yahoo. This might explain it. If so, how arrogant of them, I don't know how the heck they would expect 99% of webmasters to comply with this. https://support.google.com/a/answer/81126?hl=en I guess this explains a lot of weird stuff as of late. Some members unable to reset password via email link, some new users not getting email self activation links, etc. What a cluster if gmail is actually blocking everything we send.

bk
bk

bk
PostSun Feb 18, 2024 3:23 pm 
Good find, Tom. My email used is gmail. Even prior to this, if given a choice to re-start [all of my accounts, in places] with a fresh email address...it would not be gmail (because of their past, weird "scanning emails for ad suggestion" policy)....and, instead, would probably be an Apple address or something.

bk

bk
PostMon Feb 19, 2024 7:06 pm 
A successful "Topic Reply Notification" was received today at 5:18 PM (Funny Image Thread posting, at about that same time). This is the first such succesful nwhikers.net notice (of any kind) since, it looks like.....since Jan. 30, 2024 at 9:48 AM (for same "Funny Image" topic). (So, thanks, for whatever you did....if anything....)

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 19, 2024 7:11 pm 
I didn't do anything lol. But I did get successful notification for the picture of the day thread and everything seems to be working for me so I don't think it's an issue with topics that have a lot of subscribers. I think it's just gmail blocking us for some reason.

zimmertr
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 1:37 pm 
Tom wrote:
pretty sure it is gmail is just blocking all emails from NWH.
What a revolting development. mad.gif Thanks, Google. All my email notifications of new posts to topics I'm watching have ceased. I've been off the site for several days and I've gotten zero notices - about this thread, or anything else I've watched for ages, like BPG's "I told my wife" critter cam thread. Guess I'll have to spend more time on the site reviewing posts. At least the site has a function for reviewing new posts.