Forum Index > Food & Grub > food you used to tk. vs. food now.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 10:26 am 
Was just thinking ofthe food list from my begining hikes, and now (light-wt.) 1.) Can of stagg chili poured over frito-lay's corn chips and topped with cheese, onions,garlic.(don't ask how this comes out the other end) eek.gif 2.) Fresh pasta from safe-way (in the plastic trays) with garlic bread and a bag of white cream sauce from costco. (for two people) agree.gif 3.) Two fresh eggs (each) Small ammount of kielbalsa sausage/ and 1 each person mico-waved potatoes. TOP W/ CHEESE. NOW : It's mostly de-hydrated h.b. and pancakes. And dehyd. dinners. Beef jerky, honey coated peanuts, 1 bag of tims potatoe chips. wheat thins and cheese, w/ peperoni. candy, 2 soups.......DRY FRUIT. Mostly dehyd. stuff for the LIGHT-WEIGHT /IS THIS THE CASE FOR OTHER LIGHTWEIGHTERS HERE?? CARE TO ADD ANYTHING OR SUGGESTIONS ? THANKS!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 10:36 am 
I'm getting so old I can remember when we actually did bring lot's of canned foods like chilli, spam, bacon, eggs, etc. My mom would pour a dozen egg yolks into a one quart mason jar half filled with water, and we'd simply pour the eggs into the bacon greased fry pan. But talk about weight! I had a buddy who actually packed a small hibatchi and charcoal up to Pratt Lake. One of my buddies still uses his old bright orange external frame pack with blackened pots, pans, and a coffeepot dangling from it in various places. I love it. Then I got into freeze dried and dehydrated backpacking foods and I still use them quite often. I also have a dehydrator and use it for meats, vegetables and fruits. But the last couple of years my hiking buddies and I are reverting back to our old ways; if the hike is relatively short we pack frozen thick sliced bacon, steaks, complete salads in ziplocks and fresh vegetables, and always, a dented old coffeepot.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 11:11 am 
Forest gnome is so lightweight he abbreviates words like "take". biggrin.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 11:22 am 
hEY IS THE HIBATCHI still up at pratt lk.? (I find that a's and e's are the ) (heaviest vowels.) lol.gif lol.gif does anybody know their exact weight???

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 11:24 am 
Used to take: Dehydrated food. Expensive. Tastes bad. Not enough volume. Now: Real food. Cheaper than dehydrated. Tastes better. More calories. This is how I look at food as a comparison: If you're going to pay for a hooker, might as well get the most bang for your buck.

Art is an adventure.
Heavy eater of light food

Heavy eater of light food
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 11:28 am 
Freeze-dried: heavy packaging, expensive, salty. Potato flakes: yum, cheap, buy in a big box at Trader Joes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 12:20 pm 
I used to backpack in steaks for the first night out and all kinds of canned stuff plus a lot of beer. Now, I usually plan for catching a meal or two plus some dehydrated stuff and MRE entree. During hunting season I go ultralight, living off dried fruit and meat-camping wherever I'm at when it gets dark.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
treewalker

treewalker
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 1:26 pm 
Maybe I'm crazy but for me spending time in the woods is a spiritual cleansing experience. I usually try to go light on food in general and shed a few pounds on my extended trips. I just bring a couple of luna bars per day, maybe 1 or 2 dehydrated meals, small bag of trail mix/granola and maybe a couple pieces of fresh fruit or veggies. I'd be screwed if I were lost but I usually stick to the trail. Josh

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 1:50 pm 
BAH!
I can't stand all the dried, proccesed, candied stuff they sell to hikers nowadays. Give me carefully packed fresh fruit, nuts, Sunflower seeds (a must), and the fish you catch at your destination. You don't need a hibatchi if you can build a decent fire pit. Take some alluminum foil, wrap it around vegetables and meat with some butter, and put it directly into the fire.

Larry

Larry
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 2:10 pm 
treewalker wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy but for me spending time in the woods is a spiritual cleansing experience. I usually try to go light on food in general and shed a few pounds on my extended trips. I just bring a couple of luna bars per day, maybe 1 or 2 dehydrated meals, small bag of trail mix/granola and maybe a couple pieces of fresh fruit or veggies. I'd be screwed if I were lost but I usually stick to the trail. Josh
A couple of years ago I headed for the Burke Range for 4 days. At the trailhead, I discovered that I had left my food in neat little daily packets on the kitchen counter. Well, it was a decision...drive 20 miles to the Quinault Mercantile, or just get on the trail. I figured I'd be awfully hungry, but I wouldn't starve in four days, and knew that I could probably do a bit of foraging for berries and such. The thought of no coffee REALLY made me pause, but in the end I just took off, sans stove and utensils. I drank a lot of water and that helped. Also, I took my time bushwacking up the hillside so as not to drain my energy too badly. Needless to say, I survived (of course), but I was getting pretty weird thoughts by the time I got back to the car... dizzy.gif My stomach growled and churned the second day, but things really settled down for the rest of the trip. The hunger was there, but it wasn't excruciating or anything. I did feel a little bit weak in the last few miles out, but the rest of the time I felt just as strong as if I had eaten normally. What do you think the odds are that I just drove on by the little hamburger stand at the Mercantile on the way home? ha.gif

Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 2:24 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
1.) Can of stagg chili poured over frito-lay's corn chips and topped with cheese, onions,garlic.(don't ask how this comes out the other end) eek.gif
Frito Banditos are my FAVE!

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 4:36 pm 
I used to take cans, soups, chilli's and the like. Then I evolved into the F/D stuff only. Now it's a mixture of the two. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 4:56 pm 
Yep, I can rember the painful hauling of canned food agree.gif NEVER AGAIN!! I eat a combo of freeze dried commercial and my own dehydrated foods. I repkg everything into ziploc freezer bags and pour the boiling water in. No mess, no cleanup and very little pkging to haul out. All you need is a bp tea kettle, measuring cup and spoon. I love it!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 6:40 pm 
PB&J!

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 6:45 pm 
Lotsa dried, very little freeze dried. Mostly just like always.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods