Forum Index > Trip Reports > Annette Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 4:43 pm 
So with this utterley gorgeous day Ford and me hit the road early and after loading up at the Covington Starbucks we hit the trail at 9:41. I knew this trail was popular but wow, even on a wendsay, there was about 7 cars. It is still odd getting used to such popular trails, when I lived on the Island, going up to the Mt. Baker area in midweek meant seeing maybe one retired couple! Of course I got us turned around right away and missed the last sign for the traul detour and ended up casually doing the nature loop biggrin.gif Then ever so casually going back around till I found the new trail for the lake...Oh super cool here!! Turned out the sign for the detour was not on the tree anymore and was laying on a downed tree above my head, so I hadn't seen it. We had a good trip up and only hit snow right at the lake-the lake itself is melted out, and the inlet stream is running full force. We ended up pulling out the ridge rest seats on a log by the outlet stream and kicking back to an awesome lunch. We were danced on by an army of periwinkle and also orange butterflies-pure heaven!! They would actually land on you and sit there in the breeze smile.gif We were joined by about 4 other groups we had flown by going up, I sat and talked with an older couple-it was neat to hear how his first time up there was in 1951. He was a fountain of info, which I sucked down biggrin.gif I didn't want to leave <pouting> but I knew if I didn't we'd get stuck in rush hour traffic..... We flew down fast, getting cooled off by a warm wind through the avalanche chutes. All was fine until we hit the nature trail and AGH!! hit 2 carfulls of the brattiest kids I've encountered in a LONG time!! I get pampered hiking with Ford-he loves to hike, and he hikes my hike, right behind me, rarely whining-in utter happiness when he sees animals and gets to play by a lake for an hour. Theses kids were nature hating devils-one came running at me with a log on the bridge screaming Braveheart style..and the adult just standing there blank eyed. They were accompianed by the "I hate nature" boy who just screamed and "whistle" girl who kept blowing her whistle. Right then I knew my kid is awesome. He did over 8 miles today and never complained. He is my favorite hiking partner and if I could I'd high 5 him right now biggrin.gif wub.gif A great hike and an awesome day!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 4:57 pm 
Nice trip report. Good to hear you had a great day. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 10:42 pm 
Sarbar It is great that you have this wonderful relationship with Ford. You are both very fortunate!! He sounds like he is a Great Hiking Partner!

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
foggy

foggy
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 6:10 pm 
Great trip report! When school is out, I hope to add my own 2 cents worth. I can't stand destructive kids, we (you and us) sure are blessed having 2 great kids, who love to be in the mountains/nature and are respectful to every living creature whether it's a flower, animal or human. up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 6:15 pm 
Yeah, because I have an EXTRA special lake trip saved for us winksmile.gif It's ONLY like 10 miles round trip...heehee!! That's if you survive this weekend winksmile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.