Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Best road trip
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 11:43 am 
El Puma wrote:
Had a lot of great hikes in BC/AB - a lot depends on how willing you are to deal with crowds. Banff/Jasper gets as ridiculous as Yellowstone "in season". But as always, there are numerous roads less traveled and hikes less known. Don't count out Wells Gray Provincial Park, or the relatively easy access to the Bugaboos out of Spilimacheen or Caribous out of Valemount (public logging roads).
The Can. Rockies can be a little hectic, but the overcrowded areas are more or less isolated to the roadside attractions, with a few exceptions like the Agnes Lake Teahouse or Johnston Canyon (both however are well worth the crowdage). Plenty of non-crowded stuff to see too. The Beauty Creek Trail is one of my favorites up there. Short hike (just under a mile), along an awesome slot canyon, best in the area imo, with tons of waterfalls, and hardly any people. And definitely don't rule out Wells Gray. When I went up to Jasper, I camped in Wells Gray on the way up. It's absolutely gorgeous, and dispite the rumored crowds around Helmcken and Dawson Falls (didn't see much of any crowds), there were relatively few people anywhere.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 11:45 am 
I'd avoid most of the major US and Canadian National Parks in summer simply for the crowds. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Yosemite, Glacier, Banff, Jasper, even Mt Rainier. The best time to go from my experience is after Labor Day. Most of the crowds are gone, the weather is cooler, and you might even catch the beginnings of fall.

paps

paps
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 12:08 pm 
SR 1, CA Coast.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 2:06 pm 
Go to an area you have never gone before. In fact go to an area where hardly anyone goes. Go to the unknown. Take the road less travelled. Drive North and East to the far northern borders of Canada--Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Art is an adventure.
TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 10:43 am 
Like others here, I can easily spend a couple of weeks in the Canadian Rockies, Glacier National Park, and the region in/around Yosemite National Park. The car, of course, would be left behind on the trailhead for days and days... Another worthwhile trip for me would be to spend a few days in the San Juans in Colorado, then proceed up north for a few days in the Rockies closer to the Denver area, and then cruise on over to the High Uintas east of Salt Lake City. Closer to home, I think a trip out to the Pasayten Wilderness, the mountains in the Pend Oreille area (the Selkirks?), and the Entiat Mts is worth a two-week adventure. I've never had the time to trek any of those places, and they never seem to come up much during my conversations with other hikers or any trail postings. Can anyone offer any good dayhike/backpacking suggestions out in those directions?

Always take the scenic route.
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 6:48 pm 
rockies
Mcaver, I agree with you 100% The rockies are majestic! You have to see them before you die!! biggrin.gif

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)