Forum Index > Trip Reports > Esmerelda Basin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 10:40 am 
Made a brief excursion yesterday into Esmeralda Basin. Snow continuous at 4700 feet, 1-2 feet. Flowers: Mostly Glacier Lily and Spring Beauty. Boggy area at 4500 feet with Shootingstar and Marsh Marigold. Birds: Turkey Vultures ( Teanaway River road) Western Tanager, Clark's Nutcracker ( a flock).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 11:12 pm 
You bet that is a turkey vulture, and great job capturing it on film too! While there are not as many up here as what I enjoyed as a kid on the farm in Oregon, I see them frequently. Each year there is a good group of 4-9 of them here in the Snoqualmie Valley that are fairly common sights. I almost never drive the Easton-to-Cle Elum stretch of I-90 w/o seeing them. I believe there are known nesting sites on the cliffs visible from I-90 on Easton Ridge also. My memories of these critters goes back again to my years growing up in Oregon. We'd burn our ryegrass fields each summer/fall and the days after burning a field there would at times be 25-30 of them circling over the field looking for all of the dead mice to snack on! Mmmmm...cooked meat! biggrin.gif

Ulrich

Ulrich
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 8:13 am 
Alan, two years agos, at almost the same area, we observed these vultures circling over a roadkill (deer). They have to be indigenous to the Teanaway River valley.