Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is it just me or is it too damn hot out here?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 11:49 am 
bring on the heat it makes the bugs go away biggrin.gif

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 5:29 pm 
Yesterday at the Quinault Valley, it said 100 at the Mercantile (probably a lousy temperature gauge, but it was truly hot...sweated like a dog driving in the valley. Seemed like the further west I drove, it got progressively hotter. Humptulips was COOKING. I hiked up toward Enchanted Valley, but couldn't find ANY coolness, and so I just turned around. I certainly am not completely griping about the weather, since it seems ludicrous to do so. But...I'm not masochist, and not going to turn myself to jello without first breaking in to the heat. Still managed to get 15 miles in. Turned around at the "blue hole" just about a mile past the O'Neil Creek turnoff. The river was ROARING...beautiful and noisy and powerful. Drove out of the valley last night and drove the heat-shimmering macadam to Kalaloch. Visited my favorite beach trail last evening...still hot, even on the beach. This morning...Voila! Air conditioning in the form of fog and mist. Spent the whole morning at Ruby Beach in WONDERFUL conditions....fog diffusion filter for countless photos and about 60 degrees. So...I'm sitting at a picnic table this early afternoon at Kalaloch, and who shows up and says "hi"?...Allison! She had the right idea...should be great at the beach for the next several days. Back in my hot apartment in Bellevue now...no air conditioning...gotta do some work tomorrow, so I HAD to come back, dammit. But...I'll wait for a cooldown again (maybe Tuesday) and head out for a few days again.

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 6:54 pm 
Escape from heat!
In a bizarre turn-about, driving to Colorado was an escape from heat and bright sun. Just got through I-80 / Wyoming in time to beat snow flurries coming later in the evening, and arrive in Boulder to -- fog and rain? Here? Very bizarre, but quite pleasant. Awoke this morning at my dad's place in the mountains west of town to a visit from the neighborhood fox and one of her kits. Darn cute. Back to the NW as soon as it cools down. smile.gif
foxkit
foxkit

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 8:23 pm 
Larry wrote:
...sweated like a dog driving in the valley.
So...dogs driving in the valley sweat differently than do dogs just doing reg'lar stuff? Ah, ha, Ha ha hah ha ha!!!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Larry

Larry
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 8:52 pm 
Quake: Yes, the dogs that I saw driving in the rain forest were wearing muscle shirts, and I could see the sweat gleaming on their upper arms. When I stopped at the creeks to catch the cool breezes coming down the pike, I noticed many dogs lounging on the rocks, reading. On closer inspection, I realized they were studying the State of Washington Drivers' Licensing Test Booklet (sample questions). This, of course, explains the reason they were driving up and down the road so slowly. As far as their sweat, let me say that I too, sweated when I took my first driving test in Aberdeen, with a VERY strict lady with her hair up in a bun. She looked quite severe, which might be a pretty good deal for those people with a different outlook as to what is sexy, and wouldn't mind a bit of pain. As for me, I just wanted to do well and get my license and get back to the rain forest dogs where I belonged. Needless to say, I didn't pass the driving test. I knew something was wrong, when she told me to pull away from a curb and into traffic. Of course, I followed the manual to a "T", and made it obvious that I was looking in the rear view mirror. In fact, to be sure, I decided I had better put my head out the window and look back for added emphasis. When I snapped my head to the left to look out, I hit the rolled-up window with quite a force and quite a loud "smack" sound. This didn't set will with Ms. Severe, and that's when I started sweating like the dogs. We won't go into my parallel parking attempt...

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 8:36 am 
cool.gif = mad.gif ....for the rest of us webfooters: "morning clouds, afternoon sun"= up.gif up.gif smile.gif smile.gif up.gif up.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 9:29 am 
Ahhh...looks like the heat wave is over! There's not a day over 80 predicted for the next week, and some closer to 70. I woke up to 63 degrees in my apartment this morning. Usually that would be a bit cold for my taste for indoors, but after the last few days it's perfect! up.gif

Breff

Breff
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:16 am 
MCaver wrote:
Ahhh...looks like the heat wave is over! up.gif
sprayaway.gif sprayaway.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif wazzup.gif yeah, it was such a pain in the butt being out in shorts and a tank top at 10:30 last night. I'm sure glad that inconvenience is over. dizzy.gif and thankfully those clear, warm mornings are over. I just couldn't take much more of that. lol.gif moon.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:17 am 
Come sit in the 95 degree living room I had yesterday and tell me how nice it is. tongue.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:21 am 
Here here, Michael! up.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:25 am 
I'm wondering how many of you heat-lovers are sitting in air conditioning when you post about how wimpy us heat-haters are. biggrin.gif I've found 110 to be more tolerable when I have the choice to escape it than 80 is when I don't. huh.gif

Pappy-

Pappy-
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:35 am 
MCaver wrote:
Come sit in the 95 degree living room I had yesterday and tell me how nice it is. tongue.gif
No air. Bedrooms faces west, with no shade. I put a couple fans in windows, it cools down eventually. I just find it remarkable, that in an area that is known for it's lack of sun, that once we get a little, so many people freak out. Same thing in winter. It hits 30 a couple times and people act like they live in Fargo. And the local media just laps it up big time!

Packpup

Packpup
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 12:31 pm 
I'm a major heat wuss. Sent Slide Alder Slayer out hiking by himself yesterday. I was very kind and took his car for emissions. Roasted with no A/C for over an hour in the sun waiting. I did reward myself by spending money shopping then going home and laying on the floor for the rest of the day. According the the cat it's the coolest place in the house. Smart cat he is. No way I'm hiking in this heat. Frankly, I'm sitting here sweating as I type (overactive pores?). Winter is my favorite time of year for hiking. I get cranky when he turns the heat up over 65 in the winter. Now that we've done our first snow camping trip I'm looking forward to late fall and winter.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:11 pm 
It's all about humidity. By the way, B.C. and the east side were just outstanding. Not whimpin' out yet. The best is yet to come. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 11:08 pm 
Yep, yep, it was nice nice at the beach all day yesterday and today. Tidepools full of cool gunky stuff like anemones and sun, rocks, and sand. I pity da fool who was not getting massive sunburn anywhere near where we were. Sorry Larry, there was much to see, and there was no time to chat in de woods or at de campground. up.gif up.gif up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods