Forum Index > Trip Reports > Baring Mountain - 5/26/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Happy Trail Dog

Happy Trail Dog
PostTue May 27, 2003 12:50 pm 
The hike starts off walking the old road to the right of the Barclay Lake trail head (2300ft) and past the potty (also 2300ft). After 200 yards, there is a small cairn and a stream on the right. The trail is just to the right of the stream and heads pretty much straight up the creek, crossing it several times but mostly staying on the right side. At 2800ft the trail reaches old growth forest and the tread changes from mud and rocks to pine needles and roots. There are two short rock/root scrambles but otherwise the trail effectively finds its way around the difficulties. The ridge (4000ft) is a welcome change. The trail meanders for a mile or so up and down gentle bumps through lush moss and pine with views of Merchant and Gunn Peaks across Barclay creek. The trail eventually drops down on the South side of the ridge to get around some rock bands. Once past the rocks, the trail heads up at a small cairn. The boot track gets faint and several competing options exist, but the objective is to go up and get to a saddle (4800ft) in the ridge line. Snow started at about 4600ft and provided good footing. Once at the saddle, the remaining way appears in full glory. The goal is to drop down into the basin and head up the avalanche chute to the saddle between the two peaks of Baring Mountain. Later in the summer when the snow has melted out more, the basin and gully are a maze of boulders, but early in the season, all obstacles are under a blanket of snow. The snow was ideal for kicking steps, so kick steps I did. I brought and used crampons, but the snow was soft enough that they were not really needed. The ascent up to the saddle (5500ft) was filled with trepidation as to what I might find -- last year at about the same time of year I ran into a very steep wall of snow that had to be surmounted. This year, to my surprise, I arrived at the saddle to find the ?step up? to be only a moderately steepish slope, much different from the 60-70 degree slope I found last year. I headed up after a brief pause for the views. There were footsteps leading left, around the summit to the Southeast. Last year I had gone pretty much straight up (North) the summit ridge without problems. This year I decided to follow the tracks. The way wound around without much elevation gain until West of the summit and then headed straight up. Perhaps with less snow on the ground, this is a better, safer option. The last 50ft or so were on rock. I sat and enjoyed the stunning views for 30 minutes taking pictures, eating lunch and flipping through the summit register. In spite of the partly overcast day, most of the mountains from Gunn and Merchant to Del Campo, Sloan, Glacier, Stuart, Daniel, Lemah, Chikamin, Index and Persis made their appearances. Only Baker and Rainier were no shows. A great day in Wild Sky country.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 27, 2003 1:00 pm 
Yeah, that snow wall above the saddle was freaky last year. Good thing I went with two braver souls. paranoid.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue May 27, 2003 1:21 pm 
There is a name which appears maybe two dozen times in the summit register, Heinz Graupe, who I had the pleasure or meeting and doing a couple of mountains with. He lives in Index and has been climbing for many years tagging Middle Index when still in H.S. back in the late 60's. I hope to connect with him on a couple more peaks this year.

Happy Trail Dog

Happy Trail Dog
PostTue May 27, 2003 1:27 pm 
Tom wrote:
Yeah, that snow wall above the saddle was freaky last year. Good thing I went with two braver souls.
Last year the only thing more intimidating than going up, was coming back down. Here's how it looked on Memorial Day.
wall
wall

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 27, 2003 1:55 pm 
I remember we took our time coming down that thing. It took me at least 20 minutes. I wasn't taking any chances - one slip and you were out for the season, if not longer. One of the guys I was hiking with was late getting home in time for his GF's birthday - I felt somewhat responcible. suuure.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 27, 2003 2:51 pm 
Somewhat responsible? Not with that spelling your not! How about using YOUR own checker there, Mr.? winksmile.gif hmmm.gif agree.gif hmmm.gif winksmile.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 27, 2003 3:11 pm 
BPJ, perhaps the joke is getting old, but I still find it hard to resist. winksmile.gif hmmm.gif agree.gif hmmm.gif winksmile.gif

PostFri Jun 06, 2003 8:59 pm 
Weekend Update
Did this one today. Drank five litres of water/gator aide. Not enough. Tad warm up there, but a neat summit. Still snow from the 4800' saddle to top, but it won't last long. Seeing my partner and me decend the steep section, two gents decided to rope up for it, so I guess some would think its still a pretty steep section of snow. I'm wooped. ganight.