Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > back to the dating issues....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 6:45 pm 
Here's another one for ya..... this guy, from Wenatchee, when he's contacting me, says, like me, he loves to hike and camp (my profile of course mentions I love the outdoors, etc.). We decide to meet. The outdoors came up in conversation (I had no intention of questioning his sincerity of loving to hike, etc.). I can't remember how it got brought up, but I think I was trying to describe to him a particular trailhead on Icicle Creek and mentioned the big trailhead to Snow Lake. He'd never heard of the Enchantments! This guy lives in WENATCHEE! lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 7:46 pm 
maybe he's a newbie or a boot follower- you know, those that don't carry a map and compass, and navigate by following the boots in front of them...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 12:29 am 
I'm as guilty at jumping to conclusions as the next person. That said, and to be fair, when I started to hike I LOVED it and I hadn't heard of the Enchantments either! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 5:28 am 
Hmmmm, lives in Wenatchee and has never heard of the Enchantments. down.gif He is NO hiker. His longest hike is probably from the car to the bar. rolleyes.gif BPJ, if you live in Seattle and hadn't heard of the Enchantments, that is understandable but not if you live in cotton pickin Wenatchee. biggrin.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:25 am 
You Could Be Dating A Redneck
Is his idea of a backpack anything on two wheels that can be towed by his truck? Is his idea of fast food hitting a deer at 65 MPH on the way to the campsite? When he goes camping, does he come back with more than he took? Does his entire knowledge of backpacking fit into a book thinner than John Denver's Guide On How To Build Your Own Airplane or Amellia Earhart's Guide To The Pacific? Does he think a quarter hourse is that ride in front of K-Mart? Does he recoginize abandoned cars on the way to the trailhead? Does he consider a siphon hose and a can of Raid two of the ten essentials? Is he amazed at how trailhead facilities remain so clean? Does he consider his license plate personalized because it was made by his father? If he brings his dog along, do they both use the same tree? Can he spit without opening his mouth? In casual conversaltion did he mention missing 5th grade graduation because he had jury duty? I don't know Catwoman, but sounds like you may be dating a Redneck!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:44 am 
I've found that different people can have a vastly different idea of what "hiking" is, and indeed my own definition has changed since I've moved out here (and I'm sure the measly trails I hike are hardly considered hiking to some of you tongue.gif ). I know people who think all there is to hiking is blue jeans, tennis shoes and trails through town. And I know people that think it's not really hiking unless you're 10 miles from the nearest road. And one that thinks hiking West Tiger 3 at night with only a flashlight isn't reckless. It's all about perspective and experience. I've found it better to ask outright about a person's hiking experience before talking about it, just to see how close we are in thought.

Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:45 am 
I think there are two kinds of hikers. People* who do stuff like Mt. Si and Cougar Mt. every weekend and people who go to places like the Enchantments, do the Pacific Crest, climb Ranier and Olympus regularly, etc. *Shopping at REI does not make you a hiker

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:55 am 
I'm afraid you left out the middle ground, Miss Normandy, where I fall. I've never hiked any of the I-90 popular hikes except Twin Falls State Park, but I haven't climbed any mountains either. I go for the 5-10 mile round trip hikes away from people, places like Quartz Creek and Rainier's East Side Trail, and usually in off-season. I've never hiked McPilchuck or Si or Mailbox and I don't know if I ever will beacuse of the amount of people. But I probably won't ever climb Rainier either. Does that mean I'm not a hiker? dizzy.gif

Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 11:02 am 
Yah, I'm in the middle too, but I'm afraid if I define a middle ground I will stop and rest there and I'll never get to where I want to be.

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 11:39 am 
That's cute M.N.. I bet you fall more closely into the Enchantments, Crest realm though! winksmile.gif agree.gif winksmile.gif Or, if you don't now, that you will soon. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 12:00 pm 
SAS, FYI, I'm not dating this guy! I only met him and went out with him once. I just thought it was funny that he said he loved and did a lot of hiking and camping and then didn't even know about the Enchantments and he lived in Wenatchee!

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 7:55 pm 
Mmm, I can see why you're suspicious but I wouldn't judge his hiking knowledge on JUST that. I used to work with a guy who was a pretty hardcore backpacker but his knowledge began and ended at the north and middle fork Snoqualmie road hikes. He'd go out for a week at a time but never went anywhere else or knew about anything else.

Technogeek

Technogeek
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:28 pm 
There are approximately 17 kinds of hikers. Fat ones, skinny ones, flat trail ones, steep trail ones, off trail ones, city ones, farm ones, sick ones, jeans and tennie shoe ones, plastic boot ones, photography ones, never stop until destination ones. I know that's only 13 but my fingers are like my bike -- two tired.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:50 pm 
Catwoman, I live in Wenatchee and I can guarantee you that anyone living over here who's a hiker,(and most who aren't), knows where the Enchantments are. The local paper runs articles about them at least once a year .The Icicle creek area is the closest place to go for decent hikes in the area. BUT, if you really want to know if someone is a real hiker all you have to do is check out their legs. Someone who puts in the miles almost invariably has highly developed and defined calf muscles. Check out the pics of individuals on this site. They've all got Frog Legs! So next time you want to see if a date is BS'ing you, make them show you their legs.

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Jun 09, 2003 9:07 am 
Believe me, that was not the reason I didn't want to see him again. There were several reasons, but I JUST THOUGHT THAT WAS FUNNY ABOUT HIM NOT KNOWING WHAT THE ENCHANTMENTS WERE! I wasn't asking for advice or to find out if he was fudging about other things, too. (And the guy's definitely in shape - he's a body builder and owns a gym where he's also a personal trainer.) Sheesh!