Forum Index > Trip Reports > Surprise Creek 6-8-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 5:49 pm 
I got to the trail head at 11:00 only two other cars their. I went around my truck to get my pack out of the passengers seat and walked right into a bunch of poison oak waah.gif (not a good way to start a hike). But after that the rest of the trip was excellent. The trail entered the Alpine Lakes Wilderness about a half mile in. The trail follows Surprise Creek almost the whole way it was crystal clear and cold. I took advantage of the proximity of the creek to cool my self several times along the way. About half way up the trail you emerge into a natually clear slope that you follow almost all the way to the lake this clearing also offered many nice views of the ridgline to the west and of Windy Mountain the the North. Snow started steady about 1\8 of a mile from the lake. This made the trail very hard to follow even nonexistant in places. I made it to the lake and it was totally frozen except for a small area near the outlet. I will definitly do this hike again once the lake melts it was awesome.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians..," Ted Nugent
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message