Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ruby Beach
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostMon Jun 09, 2003 9:55 pm 
Got out to Ruby Beach and Black Sand Beach on Saturday morning. A great morning, with the fog cooling things down. Took a few photos, and this one came out pretty nice I think. These are the willow trees growing up behind the trail near the creek. The sun was trying to cut through the fog but it took some time to dissipate the fog completely. I have more photos coming back to scan, and will post them if they seem okay.
Willows, Fog, and Sun - Ruby Beach
Willows, Fog, and Sun - Ruby Beach

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 09, 2003 10:08 pm 
Wow, awesome shot Lare!

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Jun 09, 2003 10:39 pm 
VERY awesome shot! I'm quite impressed!

PostTue Jun 10, 2003 8:07 am 
Stunning.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 8:35 am 
Gotta 5th that one Lare. You rock in the foe-toe dept! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Larry

Larry
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 12:53 pm 
Thank you very much for the nice compliments. It makes me feel good, and spurs me on to try to take better photos. The more I look at that image, the more I like it. It was really a no-brainer. I bracketed heavily on the plus side, as I figured the sun was going to really close up the aperture reading, so I opened up two stops and an unheard of three stops for this image. Well, the three stops is the one that worked. Just goes to show you never know, and should bracket like mad in these high contrast types of shots. The scan was slightly soft, but I like a bit of softness, as it adds a "dreamy" look to things. Other than the softness of the scan, there is no image manipulation, other than cropping about 5% out of the right side, so that the sunburst was in the "golden zone" for balance. It was a fabulous morning, and the beauty "in person" beat the heck out of any image that I could have taken. One of those mornings where you could just about point your camera anywhere. An interesting side note is that there were some BIG fish in the Ruby Creek...salmon? steelhead? Quite impressive.

foggy

foggy
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 12:59 pm 
WOW Larry, what a beautiful picture. How big were the fish? Anything over 20" is a steelhead. How nice.

Larry

Larry
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 1:11 pm 
nutz4hiking wrote:
WOW Larry, what a beautiful picture. How big were the fish? Anything over 20" is a steelhead. How nice.
It seems like it's the "wrong" time for steelhead, sort of between the Winter run and the Summer run...all that said, I think they WERE steelhead though. There were three of them, and I saw them as they were "homing" up the creek about 50 feet from the surf in about 3 inches of water! An amazing sight, and as much as I've been to the beaches, I've never seen them coming out of the ocean. It gave me goosebumps. When they hit the deeper water, they smoothed out, and just RIPPED with speed and power. My guess is that the two smaller ones were about 10 pounds each, and the bigger one was pushing somewhere between 15 and 20 pounds. The reason I'm guessing "steelhead" is that their backs were dark grey and their sides were as bright as silver coins, with a noticeable line of demarcation between the light and dark areas. Also...black spots noticeable in the dark areas. Man, what a sight. One more side note: The fog hung on that morning, and going up the beach and looking inland, the foliage and tree trunks were all looking wonderfully detailed in the misty light. It looked like a jungle in Bolivia or something...really, really cool. I'm hoping that my medium format images have some good ones. You never know. Funny how you can take a photo that looks like it would be great, and then when you get it back, it wasn't so great after all...guess that's why it pays to take a lot of film. P.S.: Here's a scan from the old Yashica Mat medium format TLR (6x6 sqaure format). It really should be touched up a bit, a little too soft. But, it does show the nice format of the old camera. This was a few minutes earlier than the originally posted image, so the sun was a little lower and there was more red in the atmosphere.
Ruby Beach Sun Fog 6x6
Ruby Beach Sun Fog 6x6

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 3:10 pm 
Nice Larry. Is the 6 x 6 a double exposure? It looks like faint Birches in the photo. Maybe it's just me. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 3:57 pm 
Outstanding Photos. I really love the first one. The rays of sunlight add such a mood to the shot. - marta

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 4:28 pm 
I'll try to add a couple more photos from the black beach (Beach 4) shot a couple of hours later on the same day. I got some tidepool action on my visit. It was a good day to be at the ocean! up.gif
Amemones Pink
Amemones Pink

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 4:39 pm 
Here's some more:
Anemones Green
Anemones Green
Orange Starfish
Orange Starfish

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 5:10 pm 
Larry, you've been kind to me in your comments about some of my photos and I would be remiss not to reciprocate in kind. Outstanding photo! You must be feeling on cloud nine with that one- superb. That equals or beats photos you see by the pros. Nice work, happy clicking! smile.gif up.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 5:27 pm 
Quark wrote:
For years - I have tried to sneak up on starfish and pick one up. I can't ever do it. The onliest ones I can pick up are dead ones, and that's no fun. I even lay on the beach real still, hoping one would crawl on me, but the tide came in, and I had to re-locate. I snagged a barnacle, then, at least. I guess it thought I was a beached tanker or something. You ever pick up a starfish, Lare? With your hands, I mean, not in a bar.
Quark, funny you mentioning sneaking up on starfish, I tried a few times while on the CA coast tidepooling to pick up starfish and those guys/gals/whatever hang on with a deathgrip! I read somewhere about how they do it but can't recall, must do some research... I think it's frowned on by the authorities to try to remove them as well as anemonies, barnacles, BPJ's, etc. from the rocks- even if you just want to look at them. Well, maybe throw the BPJ's into the outgoing tide... It is all very tempting to do. biggrin.gif

Larry

Larry
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 9:30 am 
Newbie: Regarding your question about double exposure: Nope, just a standard exposure. The trees in the background are cedars. I think that the combination of fog and mist drifting through the trees results in the sort of "double exposure" look. Also, the scans on my flatbed are pretty soft, and that's one of the limitations of the flatbed scanning. I am sure I could clean the images up a little with some judicious sharpening, but I sort of like the softness. Quark: I've never picked up a starfish! Here's one more image of the Ruby Beach area, this past November, on a cold morning. A little fog/mist in this photo too, which I think helped with the "mystery" of the seastacks half-hidden behind the trees. It's the "standard" view from the trail overlook, but the late Fall colors added a little spice and character to the image. I liked the mood of that day, seemed like the whole world was "winding down" for Winter.
Ruby Beach Low Rez
Ruby Beach Low Rez