Forum Index > Photography Talk > archival quality printer ink and paper
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 9:22 pm 
Anyone know what works? I have a newer Epson printer, but will go to the evil Kinko's or a photo lab if that is what it takes....

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
michael

michael
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 8:50 am 
Which printer do you have. You should use a system of inks and paper. (use the the same manufacturer for both products). I stick to the Epson system.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 8:56 am 
Unfortunately I have the Photo 820.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 9:02 am 
Well now I use the inks with the Epson 2200 since one of its key features is archival qualities when used with the right papers---the archival matte paper is stunning! I've really enjoyed making art prints on the watercolor paper as well. But for your case...you won't get a real long archival quality just using the straight Epson inks/papers. Using the archival matte paper, the ink from Epson, and also applying a UV protectant finish to the final print will yeild you 10-15 years of good use, which isn't bad at all. However another option that I've seen be very effective is the Generations brand of ink and papers sold by MediaStreet.com. A close friend who does a lot of digital art prints that he sells at shows uses these with the Epson 1200 and has had good success. The key is to setup on a standard to make the ink match the papers...you'll be VERY unhappy trying to use the Generations inks on the Epson archival matte paper, for example.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 9:41 am 
I'm going to need to make about 50 prints for a show. I don't feel good selling something that is only good 10-15 years. Maybe I should buy a new printer? Another new printer? bawl.gif

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 10:30 am 
Seriously check out MediaStreet.com to see if it'll work out for you. They have a lot of info on their site regarding which papers will last how long with the inks, etc.... Or call them as they are very helpful. Only then would you maybe then want to check into printers if it isn't good enough for you. I believe my buddy has minimum 25-30 yr quality prints, and if displayed not in direct light he should get close to 40-50 yrs.

Larry

Larry
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 10:38 am 
I have a friend who uses the 2200 now, but used to have a lower end Epson printer. When he printed for sales with the old printer, inks, and paper, he made sure that the customer was aware of the the 10-15 year maximum archival span of the prints that he was selling. We had talked about it, and he said that the customers, for the most part, were perfectly fine with, and happy to know about, the time span before the possible fading of the prints. So, I think that if you make sure they know, it will ease the conscience, and the customer will be impressed with your forthright manner. I get the impression that the "shorter" archival span did not affect his overall sales very much.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 1:56 pm 
Larry is right in that most people will be OK with prints that last that long, if priced accordingly. If you are making 50 prints this time only and not going to do it a lot in the future then outsource the work vs. worry about buying a printer, etc... Do a google.com search for 'archival prints' and shop away. EZPrints.com or something like that works very well---or search for the places that offer the fancy Fuji-whatever style of 100+yr prints. More money, but man they are NICE.

michaelm5

michaelm5
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 3:28 pm 
The print longevity from the new 2200 is longer than 15 years. The 1280 was rated after testing to be good for 15 years which is less than Epson advertised but still almost OK. You need to look at the study conducted by Wilhelm Imaging Research: http://www.dpandi.com/resources/permanence/cpd-15334_1102.pdf If you protect the prints, use the right papers you can expect prints that will outlast today's color chemistry processes. Epson claims the 2200 will make prints with a longevity of 90 years. Don't know about that but they will last much longer than the is stated here. I have had Inkjet prints displayed in a local art gallery window in the sun for several months with no fade and these were from the 1280. I know several pros that are now using the 2200 for all their print sales within that printers size limitation. Look at John Shaw's website.

Michael
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 5:14 pm 
That is why I bought the Epson 2200 (well, OK...a few other reasons too). My discussions on 10-15 years are for normal printers not using the special inks.

michaelm5

michaelm5
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 5:56 pm 
Well, with that qualification Alan is exactly correct. According to Wilhelm only a few will make the 15 year grade. If you market your work and are printing on an inkjet at home then a 2200 is a must have. agree.gif

Michael
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 7:21 pm 
I'm a painter currently masquerading as a photographer. With my paintings I work to a 200 year archival standard. I guess I need to rethink this archive thing for the photohgraphy project. I'm just used to something way different.

chubbyhubby

chubbyhubby
PostSat Nov 08, 2003 12:19 am 
check out http://www.pcnw.org/
Become a member for about $40/year and you can then rent time in their digital darkroom... Prices for printing on a couple of 2200's and a larger-format Epson 7600 are really reasonable. These are both pigment printers and so archival (as opposed to dye printers that fade). Hours are limited (this is a full-time school) but workable and the staff are really cool. They also have a couple of the higher-end Nikon slide and negative scanners.

Fear the Ladle
blindie

blindie
PostSat Nov 08, 2003 1:40 am 
I catch myself thinking about the Epson 2200 or 7600 so I can play with differnt types of paper. I talk myself out of it because I know printing would consume to much time. I've been very happy with ofoto. They work with me when I'm unhappy with prints. I don't have to leave the house or spend time printing. They print up to 20 x 30 on true photographic paper.

Blindie
catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Nov 08, 2003 4:57 am 
Good to know some others of you out there also have the 2200. I recently got mine so have started doing much of my own printing. Of course, anything bigger than 13" needs to go to a lab. But it's good to know that when I run into issues tongue.gif that I've got somebody to pick their brains!