Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > ie6 and/or mozilla?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 10:25 am 
'nother puter question...... I appear to be having problems with ie6. It's been suggested that I try mozilla. I go to mozilla's website and I don't see anything that looks like a download - at least not for their most recent version (5.0?) Can anyone help?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 11:04 am 
I tried Mozilla 6.0 and didn't like it at all (this was before I worked at Microsoft tongue.gif ). I was a Netscape holdout for a long time, taking even longer than most of my anti-Microsoft friends to switch to IE. Netscape/Mozilla has ceased putting out a usable browser IMO. I'm curious why someone told you to try Mozilla, catwoman. What problems are you having with IE?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 11:39 am 
I know Microsoft is supposed to be the evil empire, but the fact is they put out a far superior web browser than anybody else, simply because of it's vast support for the latest programming languages. I design websites professionally, and let me tell you, programming to get a site to display correctly in Netscape is a PAIN IN THE @SS and I hate it with a vengance!!!! rant.gif I've never used Mozilla, but since it's pretty much just open source netscape, I have to wonder how different it is. If you've got an aversion to Microsquash, you may want to try Opera too. I too am curious what IE is doing to make you turn to an inferior browser?

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 11:49 am 
I had probs with ie (tons of crashing), until I got Windows xp, and then everything was fine. Catwoman, you aren't using an older version of Windows, are you?

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 12:23 pm 
I use both on Windows XP at home. I like Mozilla at certain sites because you can configure it to stop pop-ups. up.gif But since I haven't re-installed all the different plug-ins like Flash (just too lazy), I will mostly use IE 6.0. IE 6.0 has been very stable for me. But I don't really like the fact that IE doesn't come with Java on XP and had to install the JVM extra. - marta

Larry

Larry
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 1:03 pm 
I'm using Win98SE and IE5 here. It has been absolutely stable and works the way it should.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 2:25 pm 
Win98SE was very stable for me, as was Windows 2000 and now Windows XP, but Windows ME was horrible and I hightly recommend people avoid it. As far as popup blocking goes, there are some very nice 3rd party tools that do that.

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 2:42 pm 
Sheeeeiiiit!!! I'm so frustrated with this and the techies at Dell don't know a damn thing and in fact make things worse! I've done bunches of searches online to fix my problems and it's a big huge mess - even more than before now. Explorer is up, because I'm using it to get here, but I don't understand HOW up it is. I go into the properties and no info is available. It's not listed in the add/remove programs in the control panel. I try to reinstall IE6 from the web and I get an error saying something to the effect that the logo isn't approved to be compatible or something like that. As per the Dell techie, I tried to reinstall it via the XP disk and when I went to install the specific component, it listed IE, but the box was already checked and it had 0.0 mb showing after it. AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaagh! I have XP Pro.

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 2:48 pm 
And this is one of the ways that one source says is the "recommended" way to re-install IE: Go to Start>Run and type in: rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 C:\windows\inf\ie.inf This doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, I know about Start>Run, but typing in ALL THAT didn't make any sense. I tried typing in all that and nothing happened.

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 3:14 pm 
Ok, I went back to the windowsupdate site and reinstalled IE6 service pack 1. It seemed to go without a hitch. However, it appears I'm back where I started before I started making all these "fixes". I guess that's better than otherwise. Soooo, the issues I'm having with IE are this..... my home page is set at msn.com. Occasionally IE locks up on me after I click to get into my hotmail account. There's one particular website that I can't access my account and I keep getting this revolving login thing. It's not the website because others are not having this problem. I look into my event viewer and I get error ipnathlp 32003 and 31002, and Application Hang 1001. Oh, and I get fake browsers popping up that I keep needing to click out of. No, not popup ads, but it appears at the bottom of my screen on the toolbar that another browser or two have popped up on their own and yet when I click on them, nothing's there. mad.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 3:57 pm 
catwoman wrote:
Soooo, the issues I'm having with IE are this..... my home page is set at msn.com. Occasionally IE locks up on me after I click to get into my hotmail account. There's one particular website that I can't access my account and I keep getting this revolving login thing. It's not the website because others are not having this problem. I look into my event viewer and I get error ipnathlp 32003 and 31002, and Application Hang 1001.
This sounds like the result of a system file being corrupted. Try reinstalling XP, then reinstall IE. If all else fails, pitch the stupid machine out of the window...all that crap that Dell installs for you is what screws up their machines.
Quote:
Oh, and I get fake browsers popping up that I keep needing to click out of. No, not popup ads, but it appears at the bottom of my screen on the toolbar that another browser or two have popped up on their own and yet when I click on them, nothing's there. mad.gif
Those are usually used for tracking users and placing cookies and such. You can just close them, or better, download Popup Stopper, it's small and very effective.

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 4:58 pm 
I had FreeSurfer and that didn't seem to help much. In fact, it seems as though many of my problems started around then. I've just uninstalled it, in any case, and it makes no difference. Now I can at least get certain popup windows that I'm looking for when I access certain sites - like my personal mailbox for nwhikers! It was also suggested that I install Adaware, which I did. Of course it finds much stuff, but eliminating all those trackers still doesn't solve my problems.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 6:00 pm 
Feeline, try (if you havent yet) going to the TOOLS menue and then choosing the WINDOWS UPDATE> It'll take you to Microfunnies update site and then it askes you to scan for updates. It'll then tell you if there are product updates to down load. If there are it happens pretty automatically. Try it. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 6:07 pm 
BPJ - been there done that. That was the first thing I tried.

mb.

mb.
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 6:47 pm 
You've got scam! Check out adaware (http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/) to get rid of whatever spyware garbage got onto your machine. Once you've done that, look into installing a hosts file to block a lot of garbage. http://smartin-designs.com/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster