Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sylvia Creek Valley
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 8:24 pm 
Just wanted to remind anyone once again, that Sylvia Creek State Park has a real "sleeper" of a little hike, great for a "break" if you are traveling down to the coast towards Hoquiam. I always love to visit my "old stomping grounds" in the Sylvia Creek valley, which is where I used to do a lot of "after school" roaming. It is a beautiful little piece of rain forest. There are two trail loops, each about 2 miles of green machine: 1. Cross the bridge over the lake and park to the right, below the ranger station. Take the old grade along the lakeshore to the upper end of the lake, cross over the creek and take the wonderful trail on the opposite shore back to the campground, and finish the loop by crossing the bridge back to your car. 2. Follow the lakeshore down to the outlet dam, cross the dam, and take the trail downstream through magnificent greenery to the bridge across the creek, and then come back upstream on the opposite shore back to the dam. I've attached a photo of some oxalis from the area. Actually, the whole ground is covered completely with groundcover. So much so, that there is not a lot of actual soil visible! Nearly a true rain forest!
Sylvia Creek Oxalis
Sylvia Creek Oxalis

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 8:40 pm 
Larry, I live out on the coast from hoquiam, is that state park in Montesano? I think I walked that trail when I was younger but I don't remember for sure. WB

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 11:03 pm 
Every time I head to the coast via Aberdeen, I always stop at Lake Sylvia for lunch and a quick jaunt down to the falls below the dam. Good times. smile.gif

Larry

Larry
PostFri Jun 13, 2003 6:08 am 
WrongBridge wrote:
Larry, I live out on the coast from hoquiam, is that state park in Montesano? I think I walked that trail when I was younger but I don't remember for sure. WB
Yes, Wrongbridge. It's the state park, Lake Sylvia State Park, in Montesano. Actually, there are half a dozen wonderful hikes in the area, with lowland greenery and nearly true rain forest. This includes the Wynoochee and Satsop valleys.