Forum Index > Trip Reports > Nordrum Lk 6-15-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSun Jun 15, 2003 6:41 pm 
Nordrum Lk 6-15-03 The trail up to the junction is in good shape, and somebody brushed most of the old road. Crossing the Taylor River was no problem as long as your boots are water proof and you mind the slick rocks. There are a couple of blow downs within a ½ mile of the river crossing, but not bad. Near the top of the switch backs there are several more blow downs, 2 going right down the trail. I did encounter a small patch of snow in the pass going to the lake, again not bad. Nordrum is mostly free of snow. The Nordrum section of trail is rough, often muddy and occasionally a stream bed. This is definitely a hike I will do again. Once I turned off of the Taylor River trial I saw nobody. I had the lake to my self. It is a lovely lake and there are lots of good views on the way in. Ya, I know the Taylor R. trail is crowed, but there are 3 nice water falls to look at on the way in, and most people stop at Otter falls. Happy Trails - KN
Nordum
Nordum

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 15, 2003 8:25 pm 
There used to be a shelter cabin at Nordrum. I wish I could find pictures of it. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jun 15, 2003 9:26 pm 
There's the one that certain chaps fly in each summer on an annual, temporary, basis, but that's over at Green Ridge...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Jun 15, 2003 9:28 pm 
The Trail Blazers built the three sided shelter at Nordrum in the forties. I've got a copy of an old film of the shelter being built and I've got a few pictures stashed away, including one of me in the shelter when I'm 6 years old, but none readily accessible or digitized, at the moment.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 15, 2003 9:30 pm 
Wow Brian, I sure would love to see them if you ever get the notion. MB, I'm familiar with Green Ridge. What exactly are you talking about? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jun 15, 2003 11:05 pm 
2drx pointed it out to me after my Green Ridge Trail trip report: http://www.cascadescepters.com/adventur.htm

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 1:36 pm 
BPJ and I did Nordrum, Rock, Judy, Carole, Garfield Mountain and Charlei Brown Lakes a few years ago. It didn't look like anyone had been at Garfield Mountain and Charlie Brown lakes in a loooong time. IIRC the plaque from the Nordrum shelter was still there. What were the snow/ice conditions at the lake H Hound? That's a nice area. There are some nice camp sites on the river near Otter Tail Falls. Most people are going to Otter Tail or to one of the lakes. I've been thinking about camping on the river and making a number of day hikes. Anyone been to Anderson Lake? Is it nice enought to justify the climb?

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 1:50 pm 
I've seen the markings for a route past Charlie Brown lakes to Treen Peak. Looks like some rough but interesting country. How technical was the route to the top of Garfield? How much equipment was needed, if any? I'd been thinking about going in via Taylor River, up past Nordrum and wandering around up there all day before dropping down Green Ridge and hitching/walking back down the Middle Fork Road to the Taylor River trailhead. Anyone interested in joining me on such a venture?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 1:51 pm 
I did Anderson lake via the 100 hikes route. It's an OK lake. Here's my trip report.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 3:51 pm 
Quote:
What were the snow/ice conditions at the lake H Hound?
There is a little snow in the pass going down to the lake. The first campsite is totally clear, and the shore looked fairly clear too. I only went a little way around the left side, and there was no snow at all. Bye - KN

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 5:06 pm 
Sounds like that area (read the lakes) is/are open for RAFTING! I would NOT want to have to hike around Nordum, and with Mr. Curtis's help I don't have to! Sounds like a trip is in order. TB