Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kendall Katwalk 6/15/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 9:34 pm 
Looking to stay cool on a warm day, Packpup and I stayed on the cascade crest and hiked to the Kendall Kitty Walk on 6/15/03. The weather and temperature were excellent and there is virtually no snow on the trail until the final quarter mile before the open ridge, which is the standard lunch stop when the Katwalk is covered in snow. On this date the Katwalk was snow free and the views outstanding. The trail beyond the Katwalk is covered in snow, but with my binoculars I did spot sections of the Pacific Crest Trail that were clear as it traversed around the mountains. Snow is not a concern until just before the lookout point where the trail turns NE on the west side of the ridge. From there to the Katwalk an ice axe is recommended but our hiking poles sufficed. Those with neither still made it across, although we thought we might have heard a scream or two. Met several climbers just before and at the Katwalk returning from Thompson Mountain. A fallen tree and perhaps a multi thousand pound boulder are blocking the trail for horse traffic just beyond the Alpine Lakes Wilderness sign in the boulder field.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 11:01 pm 
Thank you sir! It is always good to get reports! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message