Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > How Do You Deal With The Northwest Forest Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

How Do You Deal With The Northwest Forest Pass?
Pay the fee and park in the lot.
71%
 71%  [ 33 ]
Don't pay, park in the lot and deal with the ticket if/when I get one.
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Don't pay but park outside the designated area.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Other (Go elsewhere, protest, counterfeit pass, etc.)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 46

Dante

Dante
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 9:57 am 
First of all, I am not an "individualist" ideologue. FWIW the entertaining "test" at www.politicalcompass.org puts me dead center with a very slight libertarian leaning. Take the test. If nothing else it's interesting smile.gif Nor do I think the government should not support schools, etc. In fact, I have voted for every school and library levy put before me. That said, my federal income tax bill paid for my use of the public lands administered by the Forest Service before the fee demonstration and should still suffice. I don't agree for the fee for a variety of reasons. I will oppose making the fees permanent by making my opinions known to my representatives and otherwise doing my best to see that the "demonstration" fails. As far as an a la carte tax system goes, if the Federal Government funded the Forest Service completely out of general tax revenues, then we'd all have to pay, wouldn't we? The "fee demonstrators" chose the method of administering the fees. If I get a ticket and lose or determine that fighting it was not worth the effort, then I will probably switch to parking outside the designated area and hiking a little farther. BTW, this thread is more or less what I wanted--a lively discussion around the fee demonstration project smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 10:16 am 
I've bought it both years now that I've lived in WA. I don't like it at all, in the big $ picture of what the govt spends the amounts needed by the USFS are a drop in the budget bucket. But $30 is not much and I'd rather not deal with any crap so I go ahead and buy it. They are honoring the Golden Eagle this year now so I'll spend the $15 to upgrade my parks pass to a Golden Eagle. Might print out the stupid USFS website page that confirms the Golden Eagle can be used and leave that on my dashboard as well. I wouldn't mind it so much either if it went to trail maintenance or something useful. I suspect most of it gets spent on enforcement and trailhead crappers though in the most popular touristy spots. I also loathe the fact htat seniors get a free ride basically. You can buy a Golden Age pass, which now covers both the parks and the USFS for the rest of your life, no annual renewal and I think it only costs like $25 as a one time fee. Whereas if I have to pay for one every year at $65 a pop then over say 20 years it is $1300 for me since I'm not a senior. If the idea is pay as you use then at least stick to that line of thinking and let the old timers pay as they use as well. Plus they get like 50% off campground fees and such as well. Since they vote with their ballots and their $ and our younger generations don't, they get over at our expense. I did get screwed the one time I forgot it at Schreiber's Meadow. I even had the wallet pass and I stuck that on my windshield. But I got a $5 ticket upon which the ranger had written something like "Wallet pass not valid". Ridiculous IMO. If they want to enforce it that is one thing but having the silly wallet pass ought to have been proof enough that I had paid for one. Still, I paid the ticket because it wasn't worth the trouble to fight it and I don't care about the principle. Perhaps I shouldn't have caved and fought it on principle but I didn't want to deal with it. Rangers also checked my car for the pass last year at Lake Serene and at some other trailhead in the Gifford Pinchot a bit south of Rainier. That's just the two times I saw them while I was getting my gear together, so I'm sure they have checked other times too when I was on the trail I would imagine that they are out there at some places so they are out there looking to ticket people.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 11:30 am 
I pay the fee. It's no secret that the federal gov't does not believe that our backcountry is worth investing in. The state agencies have little recourse but to try and increase its funding from its users. If this is the only way to properly manage the forests then I'll go along with it. I wonder whether there is more time spent on looking for parking pass violators than there is maintaining trail systems, though.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
reststep

reststep
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 11:38 am 
Eric wrote
Quote:
I also loathe the fact that seniors get a free ride basically. You can buy a Golden Age pass, which now covers both the parks and the USFS for the rest of your life, no annual renewal and I think it only costs like $25 as a one time fee. Whereas if I have to pay for one every year at $65 a pop then over say 20 years it is $1300 for me since I'm not a senior. If the idea is pay as you use then at least stick to that line of thinking and let the old timers pay as they use as well. Plus they get like 50% off campground fees and such as well. Since they vote with their ballots and their $ and our younger generations don't, they get over at our expense.
I agree. We have to put a stop to us old timers from getting a free ride. It is not fair. wink.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 11:59 am 
Steve wrote:
I wonder whether there is more time spent on looking for parking pass violators than there is maintaining trail systems, though.
From the GAO report: Based on the most recent Forest Service data available, in fiscal year 2001, the agency spent 29 percent of its fee demonstration revenue expenditures on visitor services and operations, including trash collection, campfire programs, and visitor satisfaction surveys; 21 percent on maintenance of facilities, such as repairing comfort stations and fixing roofs; and 17 percent on fee collection. The remaining 33 percent was spent on such activities as enhancing facilities, protecting resources, and enforcing laws. That sort of answers your question, but the rest of the paragraph is also interesting: The legislation authorizing the fee demonstration program permitted the participating agencies to spend fee revenues on all of these kinds of on-site activities as long as the expenditures contributed to enhancing the visitor experience or helped protect, preserve, or enhance resources. We reviewed the activities of nine demonstration sites in three different regions to verify that the fee revenues were actually being spent in accordance with the authorizing legislation for the program and agency spending priorities. We found no inconsistency. However, we did find that the Forest Service does not provide consistent information on where fee revenue is being spent. At each of the sites we reviewed, officials told us that deciding which category a particular expenditure falls into is a subjective judgment that is not necessarily consistent among sites. For example, the repair of an aging restroom facility could be categorized as either “maintenance,” or a facility enhancement that could fall into the “other” category.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 2:27 pm 
If anyone is interested in fee accomplisment documents, you can find them here, though they are not terribly detailed reports: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/ForestAccompRepts/ Re: The King Co. news release: King County is defining "local taxpayers" rather loosely in this case. The $40 million/year is coming from the sources Slugman stated (plus those who choose to purchase the Mariner lottery tix or Mariner license plates), not from the average KC taxpayer.

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 7:58 pm 
I think we should have a Melawkwa tea party to protest this unfair and under represented tax. drink.gif FS parking enforcement officers that drive all the way to Spider Meadows might as well hike the trail as well and do some maintenance while they are there.
Quote:
The $30 a year for the NW Forest pass is a bargain.
Slugman is being sucked over to the dark side. I can hardly bear to witness this tragic event. hurl.gif There is more a la carteness where this tax came from trust me. Open the door and your house will be full of guests. We don't need taxes a la carte. We do need able administration of the taxes we already pay. As far as seniors go, more power to them for having to pay less.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 9:57 pm 
I hate the forest pass, and for quite a while I refused to get one out of principle. Last August I finally broke down and got one, figuring if I was going to join the WTA voluntarily for thirty bucks, I might as well kick in another thirty for road and trail maintainance. I agree that our general taxes should cover this, but many other Americans seem to believe that "lower taxes" are of paramount importance. I am torn between anti-government feelings telling me to protest the pass, and the desire to not be a freeloader making others pay for what I use. My remarks about the pass being a bargain were meant to point out that as far as screw jobs go, this one is pretty small. I would be happier if the NFS would guarantee that all money collected would stay where it was collected, and be used to benefit the types of folks who paid it. I agree it is unfair to go to user fees for one type of activity while other types are still subsidized. I continue to battle the dark side, and will never join Darth W and the masters of evil! Never! Per the King County News release: The "taxes" the "taxpayers" are going to save are the same taxes that are being paid by game-attendees now. Since general taxpayers who don't attend aren't paying now, they will not save anything once the bonds are paid off. This is part of the dishonesty that pervades this issue:calling taxes paid by attendees "taxes" instead of the user fees that they truly are. The bottom line here is that if we hadn't built the stadium, there would have been not one penny of extra money to use for other things, since without the ballpark revenue, there would be no way to retire the bonds and no reason to get the bonds in the first place. The bottom line: the "Taxpayers" did not build the stadium, the fans did.

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 10:05 pm 
Visiting my brother a couple days ago I spied a handout that came with his forest pass - a booklet listing all the trails (and other sites, of which there were many) requiring the pass, and listing the ones where the pass isn't required. The back page of the booklet was business reply feedback form. The bro said they gave it to him with the pass. I'd never seen it before. I want one. I'm going to ask for one. And use the feeback (heh, slip, that's feeDback) card. I think some of you might be interested in doing the same -- anyone seen this item?

Fred

Fred
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 2:29 am 
Don't pay the Forest Pass
You folks are pushovers. The reason you have the fees is because you willingly pay them. Complaining about if after you've paid the fees does no good at all. And for those few that actually think you are doing something good for the trails by paying them, you are sorely misguided. Though there still are not readily available figures for the fine details since the Forest Service is less than forthright on the matter, look at the Government Accounting Office Report. Summary http://www.gao.gov/highlights/d03470high.pdf Full Report http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d03470.pdf
Quote:
From Pages 35-36 of the Full Report: Question 3(a): What is the amount of appropriated dollars the Forest Service spent in fiscal year 2001 for administrative overhead to manage and operate the Recreational Fee Demonstration Program? The Forest Service accounting system does not specifically track administrative overhead costs for the Recreational Fee Demonstration Program or any other individual program within the agency. Forest Service officials estimate that in 2001 the agency spent about $10 million of appropriated funds to support the fee demonstration program. The agency estimates that $1 million is specifically for fee collection activities and about $9 million is for support costs for the program such as the salary and benefits for staff involved in general management, program planning, legislative and public communications, business services, as well as common service costs such as rents and utilities, and certain personnel costs like worker’s compensation and unemployment insurance. Question 3(b): What is the amount of recreation fee demonstration dollars that the Forest Service spent in fiscal year 2001 for administrative overhead to manage and operate the Recreational Fee Demonstration Program? As noted in the answer to 3(a), the Forest Service accounting system does not track administrative overhead costs for the Recreational Fee Demonstration Program or any other individual program within the agency. As a result the agency cannot determine these costs. Fee program expenses that could be considered administrative overhead are comprised of the cost of collecting fees and expenditures for routine program operations provided at the fee demonstration sites—such as on-site management support, site operation and maintenance planning activities, and conducting on-site visitor surveys. In fiscal year 2001, the Forest Service spent approximately $5.1 million in fee revenues for fee collection. In addition, the national fee program manager estimates that a small percentage of the $8.6 million spent for fee program operations in fiscal year 2001 could also be considered administrative overhead. Question 3(c): How does the Forest Service account for Recreational Fee Demonstration Program expenses such as periodic agencywide meetings on the fee demonstration program? The Forest Service pays for its annual national meeting of fee demonstration program managers and staff using other recreation appropriated funds although agency officials told us that some attendees may use fee demonstration program funds if it is part of their training program. According to the fee demonstration program manager, this practice allows more fee demonstration funds to be used for on-the-ground demonstration site activities.
Basically, using their figures, for every $2 that they pull in, it took $1 to collect it. And that is before they try to decide how to spend it. We already know that not a very high percentage ends up going to trails from what they actually do spend anyway, but how can you support a program that costs that much to administer? Even with their habits of poor accounting, they admitted that they are using $10 million in appropriated funds to prop up the program. If someone called you as a telephone solicitor for your favorite charity and told you to donate, but that only 25% was actually going to get spent on your cause, and the rest was paying for something else. Would you be in favor of it then? Please don't buy the pass, it only encourages them. down.gif

JayMar

JayMar
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 7:47 am 
Fines
I am confused about fines. Is this correct: I think the NW Forest Pass is required at locations where no entry fee exists - and the FS has no authority to give 'tickets' with a fine. In areas that there are fees to enter such as backcountry and nat'l parks- the FS or whoever can issue tickets. I have only received piss yellow FS notices asking me to send in $5. These tickets are not enforced. I once stopped by the Verlot office a few years ago and had a ranger sell me a $5 card and NOT write a date in it - as if to suggest "just keep using this" Are there really any fines?

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 11:19 am 
People have been ticketed and fined. I assume those are people who did not just ignore the tickets. Has anyone just ingnored the ticket(s)? What happened? Again, the violation is failure to pay the fee--not failure to display the permit. IIRC you are right, the Regs do not specifically authorize the Forest Service to issue parking permits or tickets. However, failure to display the permit (proof of payment) is probably reason enough to write the ticket for failure to pay. The tickets I have seen cite the regulation that defines the real violation--failure to pay the fee. A lot of people lose their cases by telling the Magistrate they did not pay instead of making the government prove its own case. I've read some Magistrates remind protesters that they don't have to testify, and the government has to prove they did not pay. Many protesters admit they did not pay and try--usually unsuccessfully--to contest the legality of the fee demonstration project itself.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 11:44 am 
Quote:
Basically, using their figures, for every $2 that they pull in, it took $1 to collect it. And that is before they try to decide how to spend it
I'm not sure how you figured this. In 2001 they claimed to have spent $5.1 million to collect $35 million, nationwide. Here is the exectutive summary of how the funds were utilized on the MBSNF: "Northwest Forest Pass: Provided 90% of the funding for maintenance of 800 miles of trail and 140 trailheads, 7 picnic areas and 2 rustic camps. Utilized partnership agreements to leverage over 50,000 hours of volunteer work. Used funds to act as matching money to obtain $130,000 in grants made available through the National Recreation Trails Program. Awarded trail maintenance contracts on two Ranger Districts. Each district hired a trail maintenance crew. Mountain Steward program initiated with North Cascades Institute. NWFP funds enabled staffing to be provided at the Heather Meadows Visitor Center on a daily basis from July 15 through September 30. In addition to visitor and interpretive services, trails were restored in the Austin Pass area. Vegetation was collected for propagation in a greenhouse staffed by student volunteers under an agreement with the Pacific Northwest TrailAssociation."

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Fred

Fred
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 12:10 pm 
Those quotes that I listed before are direct cut-and-pastes out of the GAO document. $10 million was used out of appropriated funds to support administration of the fee demo program, and is not accounted for in the $5+ million they cite as money that comes from the fee demo collection itself to pay for the program. Here is a writeup that explains it better. http://www.freeourforests.org/newsflash.htm#top But then, this sort of thing has been written about before too, though using GAO reports from previous years: http://www.wildwilderness.org/docs/dittrich.htm

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:56 pm 
I love those places at trailheads where it says: FOREST SERVICE PASS REQUIRED AT TRAILHEAD And then down below this sign, a separate sign says: FOREST TRAIL NOT MAINTAINED One example of this was on the Mildred Lakes trailhead.

Art is an adventure.