Forum Index > Trip Reports > Comet Falls - 6/17/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostTue Jun 17, 2003 9:40 pm 
My first trip to Comet Falls, and what a spectacular delight it was! The trail is dry all the way to the falls, and remarkable hot all the way -- I didn't expect so much exposure. You'll see snow patches here and there near the falls, but nothing to worry about. You'll need to cross one small creek crossing -- the water was a bit fast for my 6-yr old partner. Other hikers tell me snow accumulation begins just above the falls. I like how the trail follows the creek, so you're always hearing the rushing waters below you, or one of the many waterfalls you'll encounter along the trail. Very, very nice trail. Canadian dogwood is prevalent at the beginning of the trail, followed by patches of ... buttercups? ... and trillium. The rest of the way, avalanche lilies line the trail, and in exposed areas you'll see them flourish on hillsides. Other notes...Paradise is quite snowed over, as are the saddles of the Tatoosh Range. Saw a marmot at the Falls, a coyote at Paradise, and two black-tailed deer and three elk along the road. NOTE: If you plan on coming in through Stevens Canyon like I did, be aware that there is some road construction going on. The signs say "Expect 15 minute delays", though I didn't have a problem. Looks like they're repairing a bridge.

Always take the scenic route.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message