Forum Index > Trip Reports > Royal Basin 6-15 to 6-17-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 12:01 am 
Wow! What a trip.biggrin.gif Total isolation and solitude for three days. Sorry I missed you, Hoosierdaddy! There was room for us all and plenty to spare. The trail is easier than I feared, with much of the elevation gain coming in gradual doses, with only two patches of steepness. I stopped the first night at the lower meadows, as I was exhausted after 5.75 miles and 2,100 vertical feet. I made friends with a bunny that shared my campsite. The lower meadows are quite nice, and good mountain views too. I saw only three people all day, and they were leaving. Monday morning, I did the last 500 ft and 3/4 mile up to the basin proper and the lake. The lake is full of fish, I couldn't tell how big. There is no snow at all until after the lake, then there is plenty, but solid and very walkable. No gaiters needed. I wandered past the lake, trying to find Shelter Rock. I meandered through snowy woods, snowy meadows, and climbed a snowy rock, but no luck. Then I remebered I had GPS with my last waypoint right at S.R. It said I was 400 ft SE of the rock, and sure enough, I was! Shelter Rock is very cool, with climbable areas even for non-climbers like me. The whole thing looks like it was made from slightly melted Flintstone's bowling balls. I set up my hammock in a snow-free campsite nearby and started exploring. The lowest meadow past the ranger platform is very cool, and I also went uphill (south) from S.R. to attain the upper swampy area shown on the maps. It was a fun challenge to find a way up through the snow and trees. The view was worth it, but I had left the camera back with my pack! waah.gif After dinner, I went up onto a ledge halfway up Shelter Rock which brings you almost back around front, and watched the sunset and the frolicking deer . I also saw several fat marmots climbing the rock. This morning I woke up early and hit the trail, needing to get back in time to go to the Mariners game with Tanja. I hiked the seven miles back from Shelter Rock in just 5 hours, a new land speed record for the sluggish one. Below are some pictures I took, focusing on the wildlife.
Slug in its natural habitat
Slug in its natural habitat

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 12:10 am 
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention: The weather was perfect, and I saw not one mosquito or biting fly! biggrin.gif I saw no other people at all on Monday. On Tuesday when leaving, I passed six backpackers coming in, all carrying marmot cages. I asked "Why are you trapping marmots?" They said it was for SCIENCE! They were going to weigh the marmots, and sample their body fluids. Two of them were very cute young women. I later passed two more backpackers, guys this time. I told them about the marmot trappers and implied they were going to get a sample of ALL the marmot's fluids. One hiker then replied," I should go home and get my marmot suit!"

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 8:26 am 
Slugman, did you see my post on your earlier Royal Basin or Bust thread? Love the pictures! Someday soon, I'll have to become a member of the 21st century and trade in my 35mm for digital. It was dissappointing for me to get so close to my destination then have to turn around but of course safety, injuries and the right thing to do always prevail in the backcountry. agree.gif As Arnold Schwartzenegger said: "I'll be back!"

God, I am going to regret this someday!
reststep

reststep
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 9:46 am 
Nice trip report Slugman. I was at Mt. Townsend on monday. What an incredible day it was. Did you have to stop by the Wilderness Information Center to get reservations or did you just forget about it? Was the ranger in residence yet?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Karen

Karen
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 10:28 am 
Slugman: I really enjoyed your post and the photos. It looks like there's quite a bit of snow. As for Shelter Rock, I camped there once with a friend of mine over Labor Day weekend a few years back and we were the ONLY people in the entire region. It was amazing to have the entire basin to ourselves. We surmised that many people don't start hiking until Memorial Day and then they quit hiking by Labor Day ... Your report brings back a lot of good memories. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 10:17 pm 
Wooly I was at Kalaloch last week, and on the way back through Forks I stopped at the ONP office there and got my reservation and permit for Royal Basin, since I knew I wouldn't be going past Port Angeles on my way to the trailhead. I got it for the 22nd and the 23rd. When I read the weather report for the days I actually went, I called the WIC (on a Saturday) and they changed my dates over the phone. They also allow you to send your money in after the hike! That way you can get your permit with confidence, knowing you can change or cancel it without penalty. Hoosierdaddy I saw the post titled "Bust". Too bad, but better luck next time. I also saw your sign-out at the trailhead. Get this: when I left, the Forest Service had removed the old sheets and left new ones, saving only the top sheet. I was the last entry on the sheet before, so when I went to "check out", the sheet was gone! If I had been hurt up there and not left instructions with Tanja when to call 911, their blunder could have meant no one would be looking for a lost hiker! What dummies to take a sheet with a missing "check out" that hadn't yet reached its estimated end date yet. Karen Thanks for the praise, it means a lot coming from you. Yes, there was a lot of snow around shelter rock and up-valley, but none before that at all!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 11:46 pm 
Now a real hiking shot from RB.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 7:00 am 
That photo brings back such good memories of last years hike up there. Very nice smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 5:09 pm 
Wow, Slugman! That's nuts about the rangers taking the TH log without your checkout. Pretty irresponsible. I'm sure glad our N.W. Forest Pass dollars are being used wisely. dizzy.gif Your photos make me yearn to get back up there ASAP. BTW, my wife is doing better. It seems that as long as she moves around, the tendon doesn't hurt as much as when she stays sedentary. Good excuse to go hiking again if you ask me! biggrin.gif

God, I am going to regret this someday!