Forum Index > Gear Talk > What're these thingies on my backpack?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 6:40 am 
Don't get me wrong Einstein. I don't hike like most people drive. I hike slow. Most people are there and back by the time I get started. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Einstein

Einstein
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 7:46 am 
I have an idea. Let's work Mon-Fri at warp speed, even if we have to do it in a Warpspeed tent. Man, that would be some pretty intents work. Then transfer the time spent in the relative world at normal speed to the weekend, giving us 7 days each weekend to hike! Yeah, this plan sounds good. I'll start working out the equations.... e=mc^2..... yup, that'll get it started.....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Fig Newton

Fig Newton
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 11:15 am 
Quote:
Let's work Mon-Fri at warp speed
Hey Einstein--, the core of the problem is that most of us are already working that fast and even accelerating and still have no extra time. You sound alot like my boss. I don't have time for lunch unless an apple happens to fall from the sky and land near me.

Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 11:21 am 
I need to start using more wink.gif, apparently. Okay, for reference: I am a fairly leisurely hiker when allowed to be such. But doesn't a backpack built for cross-country racers seem like a pretty good thing to have for anybody? Light, tight, and allowing for greater freedom of movement. Booyah, I say to you. Booyah.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 11:39 am 
tk-421 wrote:
I've been looking at this one for a while... found it at REI Outlet for $65.00...
That's the 2001 model, which has half the capacity and weighs more than the newer model. prolithic.com had the 2002 model on sale for $98, but it seems to have disappeared from their web site in the last couple of days.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
Golly Leo

Golly Leo
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 11:55 am 
I invent more things before 9 am than most geniuses do in the whole day!

Nehls Bore

Nehls Bore
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 1:45 pm 
Yawn...Golly, putting milk on cornflakes is an old invention and probably would have happened without anyone inventing it anyhow, but I have to admit it does give me a completely different energy level. Like quantum, dude! doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

Lee O. Naardo

Lee O. Naardo
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 1:54 pm 
Golly, I invented more after 10pm than you did before 9am. My buddy Ed Issin didn't bother sleeping much, and managed to invent more than I did while we were both sleeping. Maybe he had a better Therm-a-rest pad.

Soccer Tease

Soccer Tease
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 4:49 pm 
I invented the Therma-Rest mattress! I used it to defeat the Spartans in the first Pellopenesian War. They had bad backs from a too-soft mattress! Our top general in the campaign was Sunni Kobe Kook!

Smokey

Smokey
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 8:00 pm 
Throw your new pack in a mud puddle and run over it with the car a few times. Then go find a pair of beat up crampons and strap 'em to those thingies. Add ice ax in the loop for the final touch.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 9:17 pm 
Soccer Tease wrote:
I invented the Therma-Rest mattress! I used it to defeat the Spartans in the first Pellopenesian War. They had bad backs from a too-soft mattress! Our top general in the campaign was Sunni Kobe Kook!
You've gotta be runnin' out of cute aliases sir. At least you spelled Spartans right. Signed, Xerxes

Max Plaque

Max Plaque
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 9:36 pm 
A few comments: -Brush after every meal and floss once a day even if you are a physicist. up.gif -if E=MC^2 why doesn't Einstein spell his name Mccinstmccin? Obviously even he doesn't believe in his own formula. down.gif -I invent things before 9:00 and after 9:00, but don't brag about it. Golly invents less and seems to claim the world revolves around himself. down.gif -An army fights on its stomach but sleeps on its back. Therma-rests are heavy. I punch holes in mine to make it lighter and then I don't overxerxes myself.

Vern Noulli

Vern Noulli
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 10:57 pm 
Max, I have proven through relational cow-cue-loss that a Therm-a-rest, while at rest, has no mass, and is therefore waitless. Also, by inference, as can be easily proven by the reader after a few hundred pages of equations, the gravitational konstant for Therm-a-rusts (ironically) is different than the rest of your pack. If you take a rigid body and put it on a Therm-a-risk you may, perhaps, if lucky, prove that you are levitating over the ground. Also using the parental formula F=ma (and the associative F=PA) you can derive Avacado's number, Pie, log(cabin)-syrup, easier'n a cakewalk. Thus you need no food either and can save more weight. Clearly a good understanding of physiques is important in the sport of hiking. QED

Heisenberg

Heisenberg
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 7:38 am 
an uncertain principle
Strombolli, knowing all that physics is great but at the end of the day, what does it buy you? Even if you are in the REI bargain basement, what does it buy you? The real problem is that you can never know the position of your thermarest and your sleeping bag simultaneously. My uncertertainty prinicple says you can know one of the other but not both. Hence if you know your sleeping bag is in the center of your tent, it is quite possible the thermarest is over by the door or squished against the tent wall and in reality you are sleeping on top of a cold rock protruding 2 inches above the the ground and fitting not all to well into the small of your back. Verse Vice-a, if you know where your thermarest iis underneath you, it is quite possible your bag is near the door of your tent or even underneath the thermarest. Go Figure!!!! lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Psychics, love it or hate it!

Fairre Adey

Fairre Adey
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 9:51 am 
By a simple application of my "Law of Induction", and using the unified theory of entropy, one can prove with a few simple strokes of the ice axe in the dirt that sleeping bags repel sleeping pads. I know this is a re-volting development, that currently there is no elementary charge one can do to increase the capacitance of the pad, and ... Ohm my god, I need to get back to my studying!