Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Should BPJ be banished for his actions here?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Banish BPJ- yes or no
Yes, banish him for his actions and comments here.
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
No, we need debate and he didn't cross any critical lines.
88%
 88%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 25

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 8:48 am 
Do you think Backpacker Joe has crossed a line so far as to merit expulsion? The poll has only two options, since he is either banished or not.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 9:38 am 
I do not run this site. No one has the right to be on this site becuase it is a privately run operation. It is a privelege to be on this site. I do appreciate BPJ's comments. Although, I don't always agree with him--I do appreciate them. It's like my climbing buddies. I ALWAYS climb with men, but when a woman shows up, it is refreshing to have a different perspective. We live in U.S. and it is a melting pot of different idealogical ideas. The promotion of those idealogies makes me and my neighbors well rounded human beings.

Art is an adventure.
Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 10:01 am 
I would miss his presence - the boring quotient would definitely go up. I also think there's a tendency to a double standard regarding comments about people's politics: that is, "heartless conservative" seems more acceptable than "bleeding heart liberal." Not saying this is the case in this instance, just a general perception. Of course, fairly often I agree with BPJs point of view and wish he'd do more reasoned argument and less rant. But, as I immature, I value the amusement more than good political debate. Stefan's comments, and someone else's mention of possible problems caused by posting nude pics, etc., prompted me to wonder what policies are? Did I breeze by some stuff when I first registered? Are they posted somewhere? I'm afraid the forum may be growing enough to require such stuff - and additionally, if they are posted, they may provide some protection for our hosts (e.g., 'yes, it was there, but it was against our clearly posted guidelines'). I did read the nice FAQ for the first time while looking for anything like a posting policy...

El Puma

El Puma
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 10:26 am 
Likewise, I'm oftentimes entertained by BPJ's comments (and Marylou's subsequent banter smile.gif ). Having missed many of the "edited" and "removed" Miss Normandy-related remarks, I don't know how saucy they were (but Miss N has been a bit quiet lately). I fully agree with Stefan ("We live in U.S. and it is a melting pot of different idealogical ideas. The promotion of those ideologies makes me and my neighbors well rounded human beings.") as well as the Nav ("...additionally, if they are posted, they may provide some protection for our hosts..."). BPJ- I do not support your exclusion (a form of cenCorship), but perhaps you can look at your posts that have been edited away and - not out of censorship or to follow rules, but simply out of accomodating courtesy - attempt to avoid such strong confrontations in the future. I do enjoy your posts, and you've made me think more than once (not necesarily change my stance, but nevertheless opened my mind a little). Whatever the outcome is - if I don't read from you in the future, all the best, and I'll be sure to say hello when the red Ducati parks next to me at the trailhead! Happy Trails!

Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 10:38 am 
El Puma wrote:
(but Miss N has been a bit quiet lately)
embarassedlaugh.gif Well I don't want to get myself expelled too embarassedlaugh.gif

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 10:38 am 
Nav wrote "But, as I immature, I value the amusement more than good political debate. " I also am "immaturing" as I get older, (thank God!), and I think BPJ is great ! He's the funniest thing about this site and one of the reasons that I check it out every day. Getting overly serious, even angry, about what some people write on different forums seems to be an epidemic. I hope that we don't feel an overwhelming urge here to be politically correct. I'm suprised it's even been brought up !

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 10:44 am 
I think editing BPJ's more outrageous antics more appropriate the expulsion, simply because I personally know the guy. Sure, he gets ahead of himself sometimes and is definitely a type A personality, but anyone who has met him will know that the wildman you often see on the posts is not who the fellow behind the moniker really is. The problem of course, is because what doesn't come through in his posts is the actual decent person lurking behind them, and everything looks worse in black and white than when said over a beer. He'd give you his right arm if you asked and help anyone who needed it, he's given away stuff at socials and offered help to people he knows online as well, because that's the kind of actual person he is. Even if he does have burning hot fingers when you get his political dander up, which admittedly doesn't take much. What goes unsaid and unnoticed from the political standpoint is mostly his (entirely credible and legitimate IMO) objection to folks on the left who feel we each need to be compelled to do their bidding for their reasons. In actuality BPJ gives, and helps people a heck of a lot more than many folks do, on his own, and even if he didn't, not doing so is his buisness and no one elses. Anyhow, I do recognize BPJ legitimately startles or worries folks who don't know him personally, and unfortunately this applies to most who frequent message boards whom we'll never meet in person. So BPJ, all you really need is to not get so het up by the elites, they'll never admit it in the first place and they're better taken apart, piece by chewy piece, with clinical detachment anyway.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 10:49 am 
What did I miss? confused.gif

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 10:54 am 
OK, I see. Well, I wish it were not so, but it's Tom's call to make.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 11:35 am 
Hell no he should not be banned. As far as BBS etiquete goes, compared to some other BBS' I frequent, BPJ's posting is downright puritanic. I suppose if it becomes offensive, self-restraint is the key, but as one of my favorite sayings, the so called "Bill of Non-Rights" , says:
Quote:
Article II: You do not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone -- not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc., but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be ... and like the rest of us you need to simply deal with it.
rant.gif winksmile.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 11:38 am 
For the record, no one has "banished" BPJ but himself. See the other thread for details.

Ira Sponcible

Ira Sponcible
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 11:47 am 
BPJ did the irresponcible thing and banished hisself.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Larry

Larry
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 12:20 pm 
Well, If I was BPJ, I would have had a personal dialog with Tom out of respect for Tom's responsibility for adminstering the site. In other words, if Tom felt that I was way out of line, I would try to resolve it with Tom via emails or whatever, and then either comply with the resolution we had made, or quit the forum if I felt that I couldn't comply or at least compromise. And, it looks like BPJ chose the latter. I don't think it was wise for BPJ to display the quotes from a personal dialog with Tom up on the board, and then just quit the board. By putting those quotes up without showing the context of the dialog, it makes Tom look like he just made statements without basis, and that's not a fair way of quitting the board by BPJ. If I had felt the personal comments from Tom were inflammatory to my character, I would have included that thought in my personal dialog with him. I too will miss BPJs points of view. As far as nudity or intense language, I think Tom has the right to "pull" any posts he feels are not appropriate. Conversely, this is obviously an adult board, and I am not adverse to nudity, ribald language, or innuendoes about peoples' character. For me it is all a part of the total entertainment available from this board, and we can all pretty much pick out the posts we want to read, based either on the subject title, or by picking up the tone of the content. We are free to "turn it off" at any time. Anyway...rats! An entertaining person has now left the board.