Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > I Am Very Down Right Now
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:04 pm 
My brother called a few moments ago and told me that my dad died of a massive heart attack in the hospital this afternoon. He had gone to the hospital last night after losing the feeling in his legs and being dehydrated fom a virus. It's just weird is all, my mother has had massive health problems and yet she survives. I quess I never thought my dad would go first. My dad's greatest joy in life had been my son, his only grandchild, and I just wish he would had had more time to see him grow up, to see him enter school. Ford was grandpa's little man. I never thought I'd lose one of my parents at 30. How do you even tell a child that their grandparent is gone? I don't even know where to start. How I wish I were on a trail right now, with a cold wind chilling me

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:12 pm 
My condolences to you, sorry for your loss.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:14 pm 
Sorry to hear of his passing. Every grandchild should have plenty of time to grow up and be spoiled by their grandparents. I hope you are able to keep his memory vividly alive in Ford. Again, my condolences.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:14 pm 
I appreciate that, sometimes the people I have met on the forums, like my hiking partners robbie and lynne, feel as much like family as my family does. Thank you all for letting me talk about it.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:18 pm 
That is so sad. Take care.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:18 pm 
I would say that the way to tell Ford is there in your post. Go to where you feel safe and comfortable, I would guess the mountains are the best place to let a small person know about the world and the hard things that come along in it. Take comfort in the fact that Ford encountered the parts of your dad that you cherished, it isn't as common these days that you get the chance to learn of your grandparents qualities first hand. And a shoulder pat for you too, I think any age is too early to face the loss of a parent. -Jo

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:25 pm 
Sarah, sorry to hear such sad news.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:26 pm 
Sar, my heart and thoughts go out to you. My father died a little over a year ago. I know what you are going through. God bless your father, and God rest his soul. I'm sorry for you loss. Tom

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
paul

paul
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 3:51 pm 
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. My mother-in-law died only last year, and I have been impressed with the ways my 6 year-old daughter has dealt with loosing her grandmother. Her creative thinking has at times been a comfort to my wife and I. Trust your children, they have more wisdom and coping skills than you might expect. The best to you and your family, Paul

Karen

Karen
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 4:36 pm 
I'm sorry
Sarbar, I'm real sorry to hear that you lost your dad. But I am glad you felt able to reach out to us. I lost my father over 10 years ago but he lives on in my memories and always will. When he was dying he used to ask "Where does all the love go when you die?" I'd like to think he took some of it with him and left the rest of the love for us. I guess he did. It comes through in my love of the wilderness. Though Dad was not a hiker he loved the outdoors, loved to fish, and beat the brush to get to streams in the Olympics. Two years later I lost my Mom. She and I had a difficult relationship but the last three months of her life we grew very close, like pals. I am so glad we had those three months -- it made me realize that all the stuff we fought about all those years was not very important. It is living that matters. Oddly enough, it was my mother who met death head-on and kept a sense of humor to the very end. I wish my Dad had gone as peacefully -- it sounds like your Dad's death was swift and merciful. I hope so. You did mention a virus that left him dehydrated. Best of luck to you and your loved ones. And hold on to something personal -- I kept my Dad's wool plaid shirt (I still have it) because he told me once when I was feeling bad that when I wore the shirt his arms would be around me. And spend some healing time in the mountains with your loved ones, as much as you can. Take care, Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder

PostThu Jun 19, 2003 4:58 pm 
So sorry to hear that.

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 5:10 pm 
I'm so sorry, Sarbar. This must be very difficult for you and my thoughts and blessings go out to you. Karen, that was beautiful!

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 5:20 pm 
I'm sorry, Sarah. Thank you for sharing your grief with us and for the other posters (so far) who also shared their losses. It is really helpful, I think, to know that one has the support of others who have gone through the same type of feelings & losses that we are curently going through. Just know that we are ALL here for you & Ford.

God, I am going to regret this someday!
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 5:33 pm 
Sorry to hear about the loss. Here is something I wrote after the passing of a friend, it seems appropriate here, now. Infinite Trails & Over the Rainbow: When I cross the last mountain to the other side, my end thoughts will undoubtedly be to memories of climbing and hiking with family and friends. Thus I go . . . And into the plane where the sunrise and sunset is always glorious, where there is no longer any war and only peace prevails, and where there are no cold winds to chill thee in my slumber beyond...my circle is complete. I now rest..... McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 6:13 pm 
My sincerest condolensces to you for your loss. Take care, we'll be thinking of you and your family.

Always take the scenic route.