Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ashland Lakes Trail - 6/22/2003
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
C Dog

C Dog
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 9:42 pm 
I had never done this trail, and I was looking for something relatively close on this rainy second day of summer cool.gif -- so Ashland Lakes it was! The rain really must have kept people away - when I arrived at the trailhead a couple of overnighters were headed home, and once on the trail I only ran into two small hiking parties. After Upper Ashland Lake I had the trail all to myself. ANYWAY -- the rain showers this weekend left this trail pretty wet -- slick roots, slick rocks, and slick wooden planks cover much of the trail. The going is pretty easy until you leave Lower Ashland Lake and head to Twin Falls Lake. From there it's a mile and a half downhill trek over streams, in streams, through mud, under trees, over trees, through brush -- you're gonna get wet. agree.gif But it's all worth it. The tricky trail and the moody weather made this quite a fun adventure. I think I'd enjoy this trail more now then during the busy crowded summer months... Pictures up at the site, enjoy!

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 9:55 pm 
That's a nice waterfall shot C Dog. The last time I did that hike was in grade school with my cousins. I'd like to do it again and get a look at the falls.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
C Dog

C Dog
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 10:04 pm 
Thanks, p-bear! I was actually kind of avoiding the trail since I've always seen it referenced under "hikes with children", so I thought it would just be flat and super crowded, but that wasn't the case. I had a great time. up.gif

JayMar

JayMar
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 4:30 pm 
I have not yet done this trail - but all your pics look inviting. I totally relate to the hikes with children comment. Jay

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 5:46 pm 
I just HAVE to dive off that waterfall at twinn falls lake! Great shots! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 9:52 pm 
Nice photo. Always liked that lake, too bad the DNR ruined it with their firepits in the wrong places, mostly under water in low spots where they put camps. Hey Joe, you won't be diving off the top of those falls...found a dead deer at the base of them once. Incidentally, I once crossed the lip edge of those falls from the left side as you look up at them from the lake, it was pretty hairy! Came in from the log landing above the lake on the left side on that trip. Been several differnet routes off-trail of the outlet when one could drive the Wilson Creek side of Pilchuck. A 30 foot round cedar grows on the left side flank of Wilson Creek. for a mountain poem of Twin Falls as well as a 1970 Ashland Lakes Trek, see: http://www.alpinequest.com/veil2.htm http://www.alpinequest.com/trekto.htm McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
C Dog

C Dog
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 11:31 pm 
McPilchuck wrote:
Nice photo. Always liked that lake, too bad the DNR ruined it with their firepits in the wrong places, mostly under water in low spots where they put camps.
...ain't that the truth! There were quite a few campsites and firepits at both of the Ashland Lakes, almost all of them were total mudpits. There was at least one at Twin Falls Lake, however, that was in a good high dry(ish) spot.