Forum Index > Trip Reports > Toleak Point
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 8:43 am 
A lot has been said regarding Toleak Point the last coupla days, so I won't elaborate except to say man, o man! I've been as far S as Strawberry Pt before and didn't know about the increase in bald eagle population at Toleak, and of the multitudes of seals (and thier pups!), and of the more active tidepools there. We had lots of sunshine and it was quite warm; not much wind, either. I had had hopes of a raging, stormy weekend there, but I hafta admit I had a perverted happiness for the sunshine and warmth. Erik the Nav and his thousand pound backpack joined me on this trip. I don't know what the heck he wags around in that thing, but it weighs more than the largest anvil in my collection. The Parks' req't of hard plastic containers for food seems to help - the 'coons weren't pesky at all; rather than rummaging around campsites, they were skulking and foraging around the tidepools for their food where a wild 'coon ought to find it's food. That being said, I will go on to say the headland south of Toleak is very different than the ones North of Toleak, and is well worth the trip. The ladder there is brand-spanking new (200' gain in about 4 feet). On top of this headland, scattered amongst the giant spruce trees are gigantic ancient cedars. The gnarled and twisted root systems towering overhead, sucking on the older nurse logs give a whimsical, humorous twist to viewing nature. We stood in happpy awe for several long minutes more than once. There's a waterfall at Falls Creek. There is an open meadow before you get back down to the ocean that seems so beautiful and sacred that the little social trail leading to it stops at it's edge - no one seems to have ever wanted to trod on it's fragile mosses and clover-strewn floor. Especially pretty when the sun streams in. I can't wait 'til fall - I'm going back then. It'll be too crowded this summer for me. We were lucky, it wasn't crowded at all this weekend.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 10:48 am 
You need a bigger anvil. Heck, I have a spare in my pack, you can have that one... 180 degrees of view from Toleak Pt in the photo..
Toleak Pt
Toleak Pt

Dogman

Dogman
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 10:53 am 
It should be noted that Quark and Nav are fabricators and exagerators. They may be other ors as well. Toleak point is boring and otherwise uninteresting. Do not go there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 10:58 am 
Dogman wrote:
It should be noted that Quark and Nav are fabricators and exagerators. They may be other ors as well. Toleak point is boring and otherwise uninteresting. Do not go there.
Gads, I'm busted that quickly. The picture is actually an example of my extreme art with 3D modeling tools. And thanks for busting Quark for the anvil fabrication, too. Sheesh, I bet as a ratio of packweight to body weight my pack was way lighter than hers... I didn't even bring the Dana, so how could it be heavy?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 5:06 pm 
I'm going to have to side with Dogman, if only to attack the egregious character of these two characters! huh.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 11:07 pm 
Um. like can't stop. like, well. you know, laughing! lol.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods