Forum Index > Trip Reports > Delta Lake (6/22/03)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 3:38 am 
I missed the party on Saturday so decided to head up to Delta Lake on Sunday. Got my beauty sleep and arrived at the trailhead at 11 AM. Found a decent log crossing near the bottom of the Copper outlet. Cross with extreme care - one slip and you're a goner. Water flow was below what it was last year at this time, but still impressive. Rain was not a problem, but I was still soaked to the bone well before I got to Delta Lake due to the wet vegetation. One can navigate the logjam to the NE shore without having to wade, assuming your boots are waterproof to half a foot and you guess the right logs to step on (follow the logs toward the campsite). About half way around Delta Lake my quads started cramping up and I abandoned plans to head up to Otter. Back to the car by 7PM. Pictures

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 12:21 pm 
Worry not, I still plan on making it to Otter, so you won't miss out entirely. Er, well, maybe you will. hockeygrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 12:36 pm 
Well, if you happen to head up there without me, don't fight that 30' brushy incline after crossing the logjam like we did last year. Contour the shore and find a path that leads up to the campsite and beyond. tongue.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 3:55 pm 
Hey, Tom, what a cool website for your awesome photos! How do I join, how much $, etc? You actually have more pictures than I do. Now I can convince Tanja I'm not weird! (at least not in that way, having a gazillion hiking photos).

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 4:49 pm 
Fototime is a relative bargain at $24/yr for 250 MB of storage. The best thing about them is their fotoalbum software which allows you to organize everything offline and then sync all changes to the web with a click of a button. I also like their pop-up viewer. There are a few things they could do better, but overall I would put them on your short list for picture hosting sites.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 5:45 pm 
RAFTS, RAFTS, RAFTS! And for the uninformed let me say it again, RAFTS! approach delta cove, Inflate raft, get in raft, paddle to Otters inlet, hike to Otter! winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 12:47 am 
Tom wrote:
Well, if you happen to head up there without me, don't fight that 30' brushy incline after crossing the logjam like we did last year. Contour the shore and find a path that leads up to the campsite and beyond. tongue.gif
That's what I did the first time I went up there. As I recall, we went up that brushy junk last year because the shoreline was underwater. BPJ - Unless you're coming along, I'll just have to be satisfied with the gratification that I made it without a wussmobile. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 5:22 am 
If I come along my four rafts are coming with me! winksmile.gif winksmile.gif Ya cant have JUST one! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 6:03 am 
up.gif Tom, great pics as usual. You always get some gems. I second the Fototime recommendation. Great site. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 12:47 am 
Delta Lake trail (7/7/2003)
Stomp and I made a return trip to the area today. However, having climbed Pilchuck yesterday, and Stomp having done Persis the day before, we were both running at about 70% from the get go. I wanted to get some better pictures of Malachite Falls (Copper Lake outlet), so we made a quick 3/4 mile sidetrack for some pics, which ate up some more energy, so we only made it to the upper falls on the Foss. We crossed on the middle log crossing, below the last of the three smaller falls on the copper outlet so we didn't have to deal with climbing up where there was no trail on the opposite side of the creek. Aside from a few branches sticking out of the sides of the log, I found this log to be much more convienent than Scrooges crossing. Sore Feet's school of extreme log crossing was not in session today however, so the butt-scoot was in order. The trail from the Copper outlet to Delta was a bit brushier than last year, didn't look like anybody had been up there in a while. There are a couple new windfalls which need to be circumvented. Stomp had his machete with him, so we brushed it out a little bit (especially after I sat on a Devils Club...revenge is so very very sweet biggrin.gif ). Both the Copper outlet and the Foss were significantly lower than last year, and the Copper outlet was at least 1/3 lower than it was on the 21st when we got rained out. Pics as soon as I get them sorted.

Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 1:38 pm 
Addendum: rant.gif brush. My arms and legs look like I've been standing in a room full of cats, wearing a catnip hat. Think about it.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 2:19 pm 
Brush? Man, you young'uns are wimps. lol.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 10:53 pm 
Enough is enough. $10 to the first one of you who makes it all the way to Otter. Tired of all these frickin' Delta reports, geeze. Of course I'm kidding. There is some nice stuff up that way though. The cash offer still stands - I know you want the money Sore Feet! biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 11:17 pm 
Well, I just ordered my wussmobile from Mr. Curtis. Randy, I'm still waiting on that beer you owe me for guessing Summit Chief Lake. winksmile.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 11:24 pm 
How bout a compromise since rafting half way to Otter would be too easy. Make it to Otter (one way or the other) and I'll buy you $10 worth of beer. cool.gif