Forum Index > Trip Reports > Delta Lake (6/22/03)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 11:44 pm 
Wow! $10 to get to Otter and $5 to get Damian's raft out of Ingalls. See ya folks! There's gold in them thar hills!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 12:36 am 
Somebody wants to PAY me to hike?! I'm in heaven. agree.gif In my lame defense, I did 20+ miles in 2 1/2 days, which is waaaay above my average capacity. Plus, I need to get some Gel inserts for my boots...I'm not named Sore Feet for nothing. clown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 5:56 pm 
Otter, hell. Some of us didn’t even make it to Delta this year! shakehead.gif But there were compensations. agree.gif
West Fork Foss
West Fork Foss
........ but not quite from this angle.
........ but not quite from this angle.
The view from dinner.   ::)
The view from dinner. smile.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 10:05 pm 
Best Copper Crossing
Hi Guys, I'm planning to head up toward Otter and beyond pretty quick and was wondering where you recommend crossing Copper Creek? Last year I crossed on the big slanted log down near the Foss, but that seems kind of dangerous when the water is high and wearing a pack. I'm also going with some younger hikers, so I'd like a pretty safe crossing. I'm thinking about trying Sore Feet's middle log crossing. I think I saw that log last year....is it about 6 or 8 feet above the water? Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 13, 2003 10:26 pm 
I'm not sure which log I crossed. It had a couple branches sticking out and about 1/3 of the way across there was a piece of bark missing on one side which made it very slick when wet and gave me the willies. It may have been Sore Feet's middle log. It was just a little higher than where the beaten path to Delta starts. I wouldn't be surprised if you found a spot to walk across this year.

Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostMon Jul 14, 2003 7:07 pm 
Tom wrote:
It may have been Sore Feet's middle log.
Yep. There was also another 4" or so log leaning precariously against the crossin' log when Sore Feet and I were there. It looked like a good swift kick would dislodge it, but I was more interested in surviving, so I left it for someone else. The first time the two of us were there, another guy managed to cross the creek just below that log without any high-wire acts. I don't know how much water he might have filled his boots with, but it's a safe bet someone sneaky will be able to get across the creek without undue moisture or vegetable assistance these days.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jul 14, 2003 11:41 pm 
I've crossed on all three of the big log crossings, and the middle and lower ones are easily less intimidating than the uppermost one (Scrooge's log). I'm fairly sure that within another two weeks, the creek will be low enough that you could rock hop across without getting your boots wet.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 10:16 am 
Thanks
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes. smile.gif

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 11:28 am 
Copper Creek Crossing
Hey! Made it back from backpacking/camping at Otter Lake yesterday. We spent five days out there doing day hikes, fishing, swimming, etc. It was great. I saw Sore Feet and Stomp's log across Copper Creek, but it looked kind of scary! There's a big log right below there that we were able to cross on now that the water is down. You have to step on some rocks as well, but it's a pretty easy crossing and you don't get wet. I'll let you know when my pictures are posted. One question - we saw some stuff that looked like horse manure out there, and are wondering what it was? Any ideas? We were joking about it being Sasquatch sign. clown.gif BTW, where's that $10??? wink.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 11:50 am 
McFarnell wrote:
BTW, where's that $10??? wink.gif
You don't get it because you had to go overnight. tongue.gif

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 2:00 pm 
Waterfalls
Darn. bawl.gif Oh well. smile.gif Hey Sore Feet - there's more waterfalls above Otter Lake you might want to check out some time. There's one on the outlet stream of Bonnie Lake and one on the outlet stream of Azurite Lake. I have pictures of them both you'll be able to look at as soon as I get them developed and posted on my web site. It's quite a hike in there though and it's best to use a raft across Otter.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 9:36 pm 
I suspected as much. Otter will definitely be one of the places I'll be heading to first once I get myself a hennessey. I'm waiting with bells on for the pics. agree.gif