Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beaches 6/14 and Tronsen Ridge 6/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 7:36 am 
I went out to the Olympic beaches during the low tides of the 6/14-6/15 weekend. Great weather and great tidepools. Here's a couple of shots of the same tidepool at very low water (-2.8 feet). Also, got to Tronsen yesterday 6/22 via the rough FS road five miles beyond Blewett Pass - actually, the road wasn't all that rough, just enough ruts and rocks to dissuade a whole throng of people from going there. There were three groups of motorcyclists buzzing around, but they don't really bother me, since you can hear them coming and get out of the way. Pretty darn courteous guys, actually, so that was nice. The flowers were just the absolute cream-of-the-crop! Stunning displays, and the red, white, and blue of the paintbrush, lomatium, and lupines nearly overloaded my optic nerves. Many varieties of flowers, crammed into the roughly three miles that I traveled out the ridge, with the species varying depending on slope aspect and elevation. A true botanist's smorgasbord.
Tide Pool Close
Tide Pool Close
Tide Pool Second Beach 2
Tide Pool Second Beach 2

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 7:35 pm 
Was that Larry I seen yesterday. A black Subaru drive by when you were getting ready? Took the north way. Was a lot of up and down with some good views. Scored a few flowers I hadn't seen before so was a worthwhile trip. Lot's of the Lyall's Lilly too. Some new ones to me. If you can ID the "what is" or correct me, please do. NN
Orange agoseris
Orange agoseris
Western blue flax
Western blue flax
Yellow salsify
Yellow salsify
What is
What is

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 7:28 pm 
Whatis is Grand Collomia; Collomia grandiflora. Another item that is useful for identifying is the number of petals in the flower. Usually if a flower have 5 very distinct petals, it is a member of the phlox family which includes not only phlox but also scarlet gilia which this looks similar. Collomia are sometimes included with gilias. We have seen it on Ingalls Creek trail in June.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 7:45 pm 
Thanks Marta. I should have said in the flower id topic that I look at color, petals and then leaves. Seems like so many books go by Genus & species that it's hard to sort thru. At least for me right now. Some families seem pretty large too. I'm getting there. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 8:00 pm 
I thought it might be useful for anybody else new to flower id have listed out some of the items to look for. I'm not as good as my husband so I always start with the Peterson's guide which allows me to look up plants by color. Once I have an idea of what it might be, then I turn to the more technical books. I need those pictures. biggrin.gif