Forum Index > Gear Talk > Opinions on single-wall tents
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jtostenr

jtostenr
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 10:29 am 
Have any of you had much experience with single-wall tents? I hear that they can have problems with condensation (more so than normal), but they can be significantly lighter than a standard tent. On a side note, what's up with Warmlite tents (tents for nudists??)? Check out their website and you'll see what I mean. www.warmlite.com Jeff

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 10:39 am 
Yes, more condensation than normal. It's a tradeoff.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 9:10 pm 
I use a single wall tent made by Integral Designs. I like the light weight, bathtub floor, and ease of set up. Takes two poles on the inside and you are done. It has two vents, in addition to the door. Had condensation only once when some freezing rain stuck and iced up most of the top of the tent. There are some other brands that are also well regarded.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 9:46 pm 
Of my three tents one us a walrus tunnel vision single wall tent. It is very light weight (4.5 lbs) and can fit two adults one one kid. Although it has side vents and mesh on the ends it has severe condensation about half the time, the other half it will have none. I use it quite a bit because it is so light.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Damian

Damian
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 10:18 pm 
I too have an old Walrus single wall. There is no other tent with the space to weight ratio. (to my limited knowledge) About 2.75 lbs. Condensation forms only on the ceiling, but does so regularly. Its annoying, but not a major problem. It's 15 years old and going strong after numerous repairs.

jtostenr

jtostenr
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 11:22 pm 
How are these tents in the summer? I have heard these (and mountaineering tents in general) can be too hot in the summer. Jeff

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 11:31 pm 
I use mine here in Eastern Washington, with temps from 0 all the way to 100 degrees. The bulk of my backpacking is from mid June to November, occasionally in December. Most of the time I am solo, but condensation has never been a problem even with 2 people. I can't vouch for other locations or brands as I have just used this one tent. Here are a couple links, the first one is the tent I have. Hope this helps. http://www.integraldesigns.com/rvtent.htm http://www.biblertents.com/2002/

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 8:34 am 
Single wall tents are not a problem in nice weather. Just zip up the netting and not the main nylon. Most of the time the only reason why I use my single wall tent is so I have a place to go to get away from the mosquitos. I have never even zipped my single wall all the way up even in rain.

Art is an adventure.
moving mountain

moving mountain
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 9:06 am 
I pretty much just use single wall tents. I have a Bibler Awahnee, Megamid(old Chouinard pyramid), homemade megalite style(silnylon) and a Wanderlustgear 2-4-2. I have used the Bibler and the megamid style tents year round(ski mountaineering in winter/spring). I use the 2-4-2 mainly for three season solo. The key to keep condensation down is ventilation. All tents at one time or another get condensation, including every double wall tent that I have used. The good thing about silnylon it does not absorb much water, if any, so it is easy to wipe up/dry out/shake off and not carry the extra water weight. Condensation has never been that much of a problem that I could not deal with.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 12:30 pm 
I've used both coated nylon and waterproof-breathable laminate single wall tents. I will never buy a single wall coated nylon tent ( a la Stephenson's X tents). In my limited experience in BPJ's Stephenson, it is difficult at best to manage condensation in a single wall coated nylon tent. Heck, even my Integral Designs SilShelter condensed. Personally, I would not buy a single wall coated nylon tent. On the other hand, I would buy another laminated single wall tent in an instant. I have three old Early Winters Gore-Tex tents and have used two of the Biblers BPJ has owned over the years in all seasons and in hot, sunny weather, rain and snow. They have all been great, but require more care (to preserve and protect the PTFE membrane) than a regular tent. You need to keep the canopy clean. That said, I would only get a waterproof breathable laminate single wall tent if it is nexus lined like the Biblers, Integrals and old Early Winters tents. The nexus wicks any condensation so it does not drip and spreads it to facilitate re-evaporation.