Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Myers Briggs Type Indicator
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 12:09 pm 
So many people responded to the Political Compass thread that I thought I'd try another one. Has anyone else taken the Myers Briggs Type Indicator? If so, what is your type? If you have not taken it, you can take one of the Free versions HERE THIS is a (very) short-hand version with some explanations that show what the MBTI purports to measure. I took it in school as part of a career exploration program. FWIW I am an INTJ and many descriptions of INTJs are scary accurate. If you type your type into www.google.com you will find lots of interesting reading material.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 12:12 pm 
I've taken this twice in my life. The first was many years ago when I was much younger and I scored INTJ. I took it a few years ago and scored INTP. Interesting how it can change over time. Does that mean I'm old and crotchety now? dizzy.gif

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 12:18 pm 
I think the results can easily change if you are on the border between any letter and it's opposite. IIRC, all they rate each letter with a percentage. The lower the percentage, the closer to the opposite letter, with zero being neutral. For example, I am not a strong extrovert at all. I'm a couple responses from being an ENTJ. Not surprisingly, you see a lot of Introverts when you post this test online wink.gif

Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 12:36 pm 
Dante - very interesting test! Basically pegged me right on! Common Qualities of Extraverts: Attracted to many different things Like to talk, sometimes without thinking Like to get involved, make it happen Keyword: Outgoing Common Qualities of Intuitives: Notice the whole picture Theoretical - interested in WHY things work Creative - like to experiment Keyword: Imaginative Common Qualities of Feelers: Appreciate sensitivity Quick to give support Merciful - individual circumstances noted Keyword: Compassionate Common Qualities of Perceptives: Are comfortable with "winging it" Like to have an open-ended approach Postpone decisions - sometimes procrastinate Keyword: Flexible General Description: ENFPs are friendly and creative. ENFPs are curious, wanting to know what else besides the routine approach might work and they are flexible, always willing to try something new. They loathe regular routine and find themselves constantly pulled to new adventures before they have completed their old ones. ENFPs can be persuasive speakers, able to express a vision more easily than others and often make dynamic leaders.

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 12:58 pm 
MBTI Type and Political Orientation
I've always wondered about the relationship, if any, of a person's MBTI type and his or her political orientation. Here is a site that speaks to that: LINK

paul

paul
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 1:02 pm 
I also am an INTJ. Curious, because I've heard INTJ's are supposed to comprise about 1% of the general population.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 1:38 pm 
Took it again and the results are pretty much as I expected: I - introverted (strong) N - intuitive (moderate) T - thinking (strong) J - judging (moderate)

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 2:11 pm 
INTP, with the N being borderline.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 2:23 pm 
the recommended page has so much stuff on it I'm lost. Which link are you guys taking the test from? the 4 question option seems like it might be a bit light.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 2:25 pm 
Dogbert's people categories, "People basically fall into these four groups: ugly-smart, cute-smart, ugly-stupid, cute-stupid" biggrin.gif As of today no quanitfiable test for these types exist, but I'm sure he will be working on one.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 2:30 pm 
so I settled on the 20 question, no registration version. It turns out I'm an ISFP. Read the description on another site, and yup, it's pretty accurate.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 2:37 pm 
Mtn Goat try the TYPEFOCUS test with 66 questions. I'm ISTJ ISTJs are good with details and think logically. Being logical, they become practical problem-solvers and this gives them a responsible outlook on life. ISTJs are good organizers and get things done. In their own quiet way, they see what must be done, analyze the alternatives, organize the solutions and manage to accomplish it without much fanfare. No wonder why I'm an engineer. Also from the HumanMetrics test I - 78% S - 11% T - 56% J - 44%

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 2:47 pm 
got an ENTP on that one. but then I read up on that one, and it seems accurate too. strange!

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 3:03 pm 
This is what the test told me: You are liked by many people. Many women lust after your body but you are devoted to one woman. You are extremely knowledgeable in all facets. You are a responcible person. Someday you will be an Olympic athlete. It would be wise of you to run for a high profile public office.

Art is an adventure.
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 3:04 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
got an ENTP on that one. but then I read up on that one, and it seems accurate too. strange!
Interesting. Many of the descriptions are pretty generic. Also, did the test(s) you took say how strong each preference was. It could be you don't have very strong preferences other than the final "P". Then again, the MBTI could be BS. Check out this entry from the Skeptic's Dictionary: LINK The people at CPP aren’t too concerned if the list doesn’t seem to match your type. They advise such persons to see the one who administered the test and ask for help in finding a more suitable list by changing a letter or two in your four-letter type. (See the report CPP publishes on its Web site.) Furthermore, no matter what your preferences, your behavior will still sometimes indicate contrasting behavior. Thus, no behavior can ever be used to falsify the type, and any behavior can be used to verify it. Except for the introvert/extrovert preference, my scores are all strong enough that I have always scored NTJ.