Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Mandatory registration?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Is it time for mandatory registration on nwhikers?
heck yes!
45%
 45%  [ 16 ]
no, the IP check thing will do us fine
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 35

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 8:41 am 
Tom, you and BPJ have given perfect examples of what is wrong here. You don't like certain posts, so there must be something wrong with them. Humor always seems like a waste of time to the humorless. How can you judge the quality of a humorous post if you don't think its funny? Why does everything have to be "original"? Once something is done once, no one else can ever do it? I still have not heard one single advantage to the Reg thing. What are the advantages? Couldn't someone from cc.com just register here and post annoying things? Does everyone here have to like every post? This is a separate issue from the reg thing. Its about tolerance for those who like something different than what we like ourselves. Keep those whacky posts coming! I read almost all posts, and they all have value, even if that value is learning that a certain person disagrees with me on most subjects, and I should be wary of their advice. I am not against Mand. Reg., I just don't know how it will help, and what the problem is in the first place.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 8:58 am 
Slugman - those that put together this site don't WANT this site to wind up like cc.com! So, IMHO, Tom and Michael have every right to zap what they want to zap and I hope they keep up the good work. up.gif Also, slugman, did it ever occur to you that your "humorous" guest posts might only be humorous to you? Regardless, why don't you just post whatever you're going to post under your registered name? Marylou - I agree. It IS very common to have to register in order to post. And I think it's a good idea. Tom - can you still track the IP thing if they're registered? I mean, maybe that's a stupid question, but I don't know.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 10:15 am 
Tom wrote:
Dogman is a glowing example of this. Instead of his intelligent quotient dropping with guest posts, it actually rises:
Wow. If so, his registered alter-ego must be a REAL moron.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 10:33 am 
lol.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 am 
Slugman, don't take it personally. Much of what I said was tongue in cheek. Damian, you hit the nail on the head. winksmile.gif Catwoman, no, the IP thing only works for guests, although the profile button works pretty good for members. MtnGoat, you've never clicked on one of those icons to go to the first unread post? It saves a lot of time.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 3:09 pm 
Quote:
those that put together this site don't WANT this site to wind up like cc.com!
Do you not understand they require registration, like you want, and yet it's the cesspool you claim registration will fix? Registration does *nothing* of the sort! Wether or not this site is like that one has nothing to do with registration, and that CC has mandatory registration proves it! It's entirely up the to board moderator what tone the board will take. Tom does a great job IMO. This control freak crush on registering, with info that means nothing in the first place, just boggles me.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 3:51 pm 
What's the point in registering? Tom has the isp address anytime someone logs on. That's all he needs. We are not on this website to identify people. We are here to exchange knowledge and ideas.

Art is an adventure.
-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 4:02 pm 

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 5:27 pm 
I agree completely with 2drx.

Slugman also

Slugman also
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 8:40 pm 
(Who forgot to log in)
I, too, do not want this forum to end up like cc.com. I spent five minutes there and it was enough. I also think Tom does a great job as moderator, removing "cancerous tissue" like a surgeon, not like a butcher. If Mand. Reg. will help him do his job, then I'm all for it. I just don't have the facts, and so cannot judge. I am simply against legislating silliness out of the board, especially in threads which have already done their job, such as "What are these thingies on my pack..." The original poster was helped by several knowlegable folks, then the whole thing sank into a whirlpool of silliness. I like sinking into a whirlpool of silliness. As far as "dogman", his latest post about rules nearly made me choke with thought-provoking laughter. It would be difficult to have to meet that high a level of sardonic humor in all comic posts. Catwoman: It is impossible that my humorous posts were only funny to me. There were several people posting back and forth in the "dead scientist" thread, and if they didn't like the whole thing, they would have stopped. Also, "unregistered guest poster" (rubberlegs) said he got a chuckle or two out of the thread. So there may be only a few folks, but not zero folks. This issue does not impact Mand. Reg. anyway, since as Tom pointed out, we can post as funny-named members by simply typing in the new name when posting, like I did with "Claire Voyant".

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Elvis

Elvis
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 9:28 pm 
what happened, where am I?
ZZZzzzzz.....If everyone wore blue suede hiking boots it would be as boring as a day at the Ascott Races. Ok, back to my planet.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 11:14 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I still have not heard one single advantage to the Reg thing. What are the advantages?
I think the act of registration is a very positive thing. It says that you enjoy something enough to become a part of it so that you can contribute to the whole...the paltry amount of effort it takes to set up a user registration won't keep those who truly want to contribute out of the board.
Slugman wrote:
Couldn't someone from cc.com just register here and post annoying things?
They could. But my guess is that 90% of the rabble wouldn't go to the effort to do it. And the 10% that do make the effort...what to do with them? Probably nothing...I'm guessing most are harmless...intersperse a little character and element of unpredictability.
Slugman wrote:
Does everyone here have to like every post? This is a separate issue from the reg thing. Its about tolerance for those who like something different than what we like ourselves. Keep those whacky posts coming!
I don't mind whacky. But deliberate or defamatory harassment is another thing entirely... When people are repeatedly harassed, it stifles discussion...the quiet become silent and retreat into the shadows. Another downer is deliberately off-topic or random posting... One of the things I value about this board is the high signal-to-noise ratio there's a lot of good discussion and input and relatively few squirrely, pimply 13-year olds whose only inclination/intention is to disrupt, disturb, and destroy. This sort of thing also turns people away...and when the bulk of the people that contribute leave, the whole thing dries up and whithers away. I'm all for free discussion, but not at the cost of the discussion itself. A few idiots can ruin a good thing for the lot of us, and if registration is the first step to keeping them out, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 12:00 am 
MichaelB: Hear, hear!! Great analysis. agree.gif Now I will shut up. mum.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 12:22 am 
Slugman wrote:
Now I will shut up. mum.gif
And that, my friend, is the last thing on Earth I'd want. wink.gif I'm glad to hear your voice and opinions. Even more happy to have a great forum like this to voice them in.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 12:27 am 
MichaelB I love you, man. I just meant that I had my say on this thread, probably too much. Now I will shut up shutting up. (Appologies to Bugs Bunny)