Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Mandatory registration?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Is it time for mandatory registration on nwhikers?
heck yes!
45%
 45%  [ 16 ]
no, the IP check thing will do us fine
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 35

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 12:41 am 
Slugman wrote:
I love you, man...
Shouldn't you be apologizing to Bud Weiser too? winksmile.gif Now that was one of my favorite beer commercial skits before it was overdone to death by the general public. bawl.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 12:50 am 
I read Slugman's comment and didn't even think about responding "You're still not getting my Bud Light, Johnny..." But, sadly, I wish I had...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 7:31 am 
Nicely put Micheal. NN
MichaelB wrote:
Slugman wrote:
I still have not heard one single advantage to the Reg thing. What are the advantages?
I think the act of registration is a very positive thing. It says that you enjoy something enough to become a part of it so that you can contribute to the whole...the paltry amount of effort it takes to set up a user registration won't keep those who truly want to contribute out of the board.
Slugman wrote:
Couldn't someone from cc.com just register here and post annoying things?
They could. But my guess is that 90% of the rabble wouldn't go to the effort to do it. And the 10% that do make the effort...what to do with them? Probably nothing...I'm guessing most are harmless...intersperse a little character and element of unpredictability.
Slugman wrote:
Does everyone here have to like every post? This is a separate issue from the reg thing. Its about tolerance for those who like something different than what we like ourselves. Keep those whacky posts coming!
I don't mind whacky. But deliberate or defamatory harassment is another thing entirely... When people are repeatedly harassed, it stifles discussion...the quiet become silent and retreat into the shadows. Another downer is deliberately off-topic or random posting... One of the things I value about this board is the high signal-to-noise ratio there's a lot of good discussion and input and relatively few squirrely, pimply 13-year olds whose only inclination/intention is to disrupt, disturb, and destroy. This sort of thing also turns people away...and when the bulk of the people that contribute leave, the whole thing dries up and whithers away. I'm all for free discussion, but not at the cost of the discussion itself. A few idiots can ruin a good thing for the lot of us, and if registration is the first step to keeping them out, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 7:44 am 
According to poll a mere 29 persons are willing to go on record with their opinion on user registration. Come on folks.

twocoots

twocoots
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 9:33 am 
I don't know anything about the technical aspects of how these boards work. My main interest is the final "product". It would seem to me that conscientious editing, "censorship" if that is your take, by the moderators is a great way to go if they are willing to devote the time and energy to do it. Boards like cc climbers are fine for those that enjoy that sort of thing and the NW Hikers forum can provide a valuable service if it does not get subjected to excessive "thread drift" or non-productive clutter. Good editing can help assure this. Even well established regular contributors can make reading tedious when they get carried away. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing but the quality of any print media is usually improved by thoughtful editing and the cases I have seen exercised here are prime examples. I would encourage increased judicious influence by the moderators who, from what I've seen, are truly interested in providing a quality forum for information sharing on topics that we all enjoy.

Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 9:42 am 
There are some forums that not only ban unregustered users from seeing the boards and posting, but after they do register the only section they are allowed to view and post in is the General section and when they have 50 posts they can see the next group of sections and at 100 posts a few more and at 1000 posts the golden section.

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 10:21 am 
Don't know if Slashcode (the engine that runs Slashdot and a bunch of others) would even be an option, but self-moderation via karma points or otherwise does a lot to offload the task from the central site administrators to the membership base. Then again, I'd really miss the look and feel of the current board...it just screams *friendly* in the current incarnation...sleek design, not a lot of additional, unnecessary complexity -- just a very user-friendly and easy to learn and use interface.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 6:00 pm 
For now, I don't see a member concensus for registration so things will stay as they are. Sites that require registration are a pain, particularly if you're an occasional visitor and post infrequently. Requiring registration would not solve much in terms of guest spammers. For me, it's easier to purge a guest post than purge a registration and a post. If folks want to make my life easier, the answer isn't registration. The answer is to not reply to trolls. That way I can just move the offending posts to a non-public area of the forum to maintain an audit trail without having to do any other surgery. I think Stefan said it best...
Quote:
We are not on this website to identify people. We are here to exchange knowledge and ideas.

Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 11:31 pm 
[quote="Tom" If folks want to make my life easier, the answer isn't registration. [/quote] IMO, this is all that needs to be said because I think Tom does a Wonderful Job of moderating this site. I often wonder how he can possibly hold down any other kind of life given his attentiveness here!

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller