Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oregon Dunes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 6:55 am 
Ok, here I am again, way down south in that other state. I recently did a two night backpack that I've wanted to do for a long time and I'm glad I did it. My dog and I saw 5 people during the trip and they were hundreds of yards away. Staying to the north, away from the route people use to get to the ocean, will keep you away from most people. South of Florence and Reedsport, just into Coos County there's a Federal campground called North Eel on the west side of the highway. From this campground are the largest dunes on the Oregon coast and no ATVs allowed in it's 5000+ acres. Early in the year there are many small to medium sand lakes among the dunes, and several of those have little piney woods along the shores. I found that the shores of the lakes will crumble, along the steep parts that are deep enough for easy pumping. It's far easier to dip with a pan and pump from that. There's also a lot of nice quicksand along the lakes and between lakes. There's a beautiful, lonely stretch of ocean beach here too. It's a couple of miles from the trailhead at the campground. You can spend your days hiking, sledding or skiing the dunes as you wish. One problem is where to leave the car. You can't leave it in the campground without paying for a site. There's another trailhead just south of the campground but it's day-use only. You figure it out. There are photos etc. on my Web site under "Other" The usual stuff. . .

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 8:27 am 
Mentalfloss: This is a beautiful area. Some of my buddies and I have camped & hiked at Ell Creek camground for several years, every June. We would backpack out across the dunes (about two miles?) to the beach and pretty much have it to ourselves, except for some day hikers. You could run around naked as a Jaybird. Great place. Salish ps - attaching a pic
dunes4
dunes4

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message