Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sulphide Creek - existing route?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Mar 27, 2002 12:35 am 
So thanks to Terraserver being pretty much filled in Washington, I've been drooling over a gargantuan waterfall on Sulphide Creek, just as it exits Sulphide Lake. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a definitive route up into the Sulphide Creek basin from the Baker River. It doesn't look like it would be too terribly hard, but there could be some bad brush once the forest opens up. I'm assuming since there are a gajillion approaches to Shuksan and the peaks thereabouts, someone has gone up there before. Anything would be much appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
REJ

REJ
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 8:47 am 
There were two moly mine claims (Dead Goat and Molly on the eastern (NE) side of the Sulphide Creek. Moen (1969) mentions a rough trail to the claims from the Baker River but that report is probably dates from the 1950s. Quoting the USGS (1972) "The basin is drained by several tributaries of Sulphide Creek which, in the headwater area, cascade down near vertical-walled cirgues. Access to the basin from the end of the road up Baker River is by 3 miles of low-gradient trail to the mouth of the Sulphide Creek and then 1 mile without trail up the creek." From the air photo the lower part of Sulphide Creek exposures a relatively wide gravel to cobble bed. From my experience in the upper Baker River valley expect a bushwack in the upper part of the Sulphide Basin. Good Luck!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 10:05 am 
Isn't Sulphide Creek where the Baker River Trail ends? I don't have a map with me at work, and TopoZone isn't throwing search errors today. If so, the forest was pretty uncluttered when I was there, mostly moss and logs instead of brush. The creek was shallow and rather sandy. I considered walking upstream a bit but it was getting late.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 12:52 pm 
Yeah. The idea is to hike to the end of the Baker trail, then swath upstream to the headwall. It looks like the majority of the way there are gravel bars to avoid the brush on, but there could be 1/2 to 3/4 mile of forest walking initially, then another 1.5 miles or so to the falls. So far, I'm liking what I see in terms of ease of access. I bet it can probably be done in a day (maybe even without camping up there).

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 5:29 pm 
The Baker River Trail is an easy 3 mile hike to Sulphde Creek. How far upstream is the fall? An early start should make it possible in one day if it's not too far. The drive to the trailhead from the metro area takes a good 2.5 hours though. You might want to overnight at the trailhead. When are you planning to do this? A few weeks ago there was still several feet of snow reported at the trailhead. The washouts on FS-11 have been repaired according to the MBSNF website.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Mar 28, 2002 7:07 pm 
Bryan. I think you've got one this time. That whole Sulphide Creek valley could be pretty neat during snowmelt. Do me a favor,though, and reference Sulphide Falls (or whatever) when you can. Much as I love maps, moving from place to place and level to level in Terraserver takes forever. waah.gif So, will it be a "hidden" Wallace Falls? or just a great cascade? wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 12:15 am 
I already took screenshots and did montage of the whole creek between the glaciers and the base of the headwall (if you want it, I'll email it, too big to post). It's not a cascade, it's not totally vertical, but it's one of the biggest falls on the continent (over 2000'). That's it in the link there, don't know what else I can do without going there myself. Caver, I'm not doing this anytime soon. Probably mid July at the earliest. I take it you're interested... smile.gif

PostFri Mar 29, 2002 8:29 am 
Sometimes I'm a little naive. I didn't know that there were waterfall and lake "baggers" until you people introduced me to the idea. I knew people visited both, but I didn't know that you did with the same determination as a peak bagger. cool.gif cool.gif Sulfide looks unreal in its possiblities. I can't wait to see your photos. Pardon the poor quality, but here is a cropped and blown up shot with about 8 or 9 falls in it.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 11:55 am 
Sore Feet: Yea, I'm interested. Let me know when you decide to do it and I'll see if I can join you, if that's cool. I have some company in town in mid/late July so I may not be able to go. Sounds like a good trip to try sometime, though. Pappy: I'm certainly not a "waterfall bagger" on Sore Feet's scale, but they are definitely my favorite destination. To me they are the ultimate natural expression of power and grace, particularly the tall thin falls like Latourell, Elowah and Marymere. But it's not just waterfalls. I seem to have an affinity for moving water. Rivers, creeks and waterfalls are my usual hiking destinations, and the majority of my photos (that I'll get online someday!) are of them. The northwest is an amazing place for it, particularly since the weather you need to take the best photos of them is cloudy! smile.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 3:41 pm 
Pappy. Is that Sulphide Creek/Lake or just someplace similar?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!

PostFri Mar 29, 2002 5:00 pm 
Scrooge, No that is a very secret location that I can only tell you. But I have to give you the code name I learned from the only person in at least the western hemisphere that I know of who actually walked there. (Park Service told me they've choppered in) Ok, enough drumroll, are you ready? Its eruza. biggrin.gif clown.gif But seriously folks take a look at that pic. It was shot from about 4 miles away with a 200mm. A whole lot of falling water there. Again, if anyone really wanted route info to the secret blue color named lake, feel free to e-mail me and I'll help. Maybe even go with you.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 5:32 pm 
LOL Pappy, that lake sure looks like this one (spelled backwards), then again, maybe it is this one confused.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Mar 29, 2002 8:09 pm 
I'm thinking it's the first one...backwards. The outlet waterfall looks about right (at least from the aerial shots). Caver, you've got a date. We'll just have to see when and where. You have to bring the flowers though. biggrin.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Mar 30, 2002 1:30 am 
Pappy, I'm drooling, but here's what FB has to say about it, "Eruza is a beautiful hidden locale, but those who have survived the brushy and windfall-laden approach suggest that the valley is only for those who have a guilt complex and wish to punish themselves." It appears to have escaped even the Trail Blazers. My imagination can go there but, regretfully, my body won't cooperate. waah.gif It's truly awesome, but I think it's strictly a Randy and Beave kind of place.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Mar 31, 2002 2:28 pm 
I know several Trail Blazers who have been to Eruza, but it is off limits for fish stocking.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch