Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Overtime and Vacation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 7:14 pm 
That's some mighty ugly business there. This is one of these times I am thankful to be covered by a labor agreeement. This is worth fighting for, people.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 7:20 pm 
Quote:
Crikey... the Japanese and Chinese take more vacation time that we do!
down.gif I hiked up to Colchuck a couple years ago and ran into a guy from Ireland. We were talking about vacation. He mentioned how he goes skiing in Chile in the summer, yada yada yada... Europeans take these long vacations and go to South America or the desert states here and explore and they end up being better educated and probably being better employees for it. Here if you take a couple days off your boss thinks you don't have enough work to do. Hmmm....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Amos Gunn

Amos Gunn
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 7:32 pm 
But can you own a gun in England? I might want to shoot some Sasquatch for dinner.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 8:27 pm 
Look, there is a reason we are the most industrious nation that world has ever seen! There is a reason we are responsible for more leading innovation. Why we have the best most advanced medical system on the planet. Why we lead almost every industry in advancement and achievement. Because we work very hard! Because as a capitalist country we as individuals can realize the benefits of our HARD work! Am I saying that the U.S. is perfect, no I am not. What I am saying is that you cannot denie that we are the richest, most productive, most advanced nation on this planet. Hard work, industriousness, intense competition are the reasons for it. I see very little wrong with that. Just my opinion. Dont jump my sh** about it! TB winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Smokey

Smokey
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 9:00 pm 
I remember watching the PBS show "Affluenza" five or so years ago. The serfs in midevil times had more holidays than we do. And in the 70's the futurists predicted we'd be working 17 hour work weeks by now thanks to computers. Back in my younger days I used to quit jobs on a regular basis and go out and have extended fun. Am I glad I did that while I could. There are plenty of people digging their debt hole deeper to more than make up for slackers like me. Remember, when you're on your death bed, will your dying words be, "I wish I'd worked more." The Bush steamroller rolls on. My dog and I had Teneriffe all to ourselves today. Yahoo.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 9:25 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Look, there is a reason we are the most industrious nation that world has ever seen! There is a reason we are responsible for more leading innovation. Why we have the best most advanced medical system on the planet. Why we lead almost every industry in advancement and achievement. Because we work very hard! Because as a capitalist country we as individuals can realize the benefits of our HARD work! Am I saying that the U.S. is perfect, no I am not. What I am saying is that you cannot denie that we are the richest, most productive, most advanced nation on this planet. Hard work, industriousness, intense competition are the reasons for it. I see very little wrong with that. Just my opinion. Dont jump my sh** about it! TB winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif
but, the problem is that we don't have the opportunity to relax as much as we should be able to. american society is all about competition: who has the highest-paying job, the nicest house, the fastest car and the most expensive toys is always the main focus, and always at the expense of those lower in the food chain.... the difference between america and western europe is that it is extremely easy for the american upper class to take advantage of it's lower-class workforce, domestically and internationally. as to the benefits of our hard work: america leads the world in AIDS research, so one would think that all americans have access to the best care for AIDS? wrong. most working americans can't afford the medication and their insurance plans don't cover it, even though they pay most of the money in premiums to keep the insurance companies in business... think about it.

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 9:26 pm 
Quote:
Because we work very hard!
Everyone else gets to kick back and watch us work....I'm willing to share a bit of the power and the glory with others for a little less work. Why be greedy? There is enough work to go around. up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 9:32 pm 
I can understand you points. I work a lot of hours, but I get a lot of time off too. The last 12 years I have spent years worth of time in western europe! It's a nice place to visit, but God help us if we end up like them! You can have their vacation principals, the rest is LESS than great! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 9:33 pm 
In my opinion we have made a cultural decision to have more money than Europeans or Australians who have chose to have more lesiure time. It is a matter of values there they go on strike for vacations we strike for money. I tend toward the european ideal beacause I am sure I will never say on my deathbead that I wished I made more dough but I certainly would regret not taking some of the hikes I have.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 9:48 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
In my opinion we have made a cultural decision to have more money than Europeans or Australians who have chose to have more lesiure time. It is a matter of values there they go on strike for vacations we strike for money. I tend toward the european ideal beacause I am sure I will never say on my deathbead that I wished I made more dough but I certainly would regret not taking some of the hikes I have.
agreed, but i think it's more than that... the cost of living in america is always increasing faster than the average wage. we go on strike for more money because we can't live on what we're already earning. inflation always increases, when has there ever been a deflation??

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 28, 2003 4:24 am 
Inflation has been a recorded low and constant for the past 22 years! Inflation is NOT an issue in our economy! Talk to Brazil about inflation. Infact, many people belive that DEflation is more of a concern now. TB

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 11:35 am 
My cousins in Germany are guaranteed a minimum of 5 weeks of vacation a year--that does not include national holidays. They can work up to 10 weeks of vacation. More people in the U.S. as a percentage own their homes as compared to Germany. One reason is becuase they have less space to build houses. Other reason is becuase they work less--becuase they are on vacation so much, so they make less money. Trade offs.

Art is an adventure.
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 12:44 pm 
I don't think there has to be a choice between more vacation time and being a less productive nation. More time off could mean more productive use of the hours you do spend working. I'm sure we have all had a job in which we felt overworked and resentful and therefore did not make the type of effort we would have if we felt valued and had a sufficient amount of time off.

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 7:15 pm 
McJobs and Frankenfood
If you aren't getting vacation, maybe you have a McJob. lol.gif WTA lists this job on their website. I wonder if it has been filled. Imagine that, a job that is also a vacation!