Forum Index > Gear Talk > Sleeping bag ratings and accuracy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 9:54 am 
In my experience it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Marmot and Western Mountaineering are pretty credible based on my own experience and what I have read. They are expensive, but you can usually find Marmot bags on sale somewhere. I like the freezer idea smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 12:13 pm 
I just used a western mtn'ring bag twice and the temp ratings are accurate. Look at "the lightweight backpacker " for a review on bags. you should get a 2lb. w.m. bag rated at 15/20 degree. !!!! this is my next bag/ the quality and craftsmanship are tops up.gif I bought the mity-light, rated 40 deg. (225$ no tax and free shipping from www.travelcountry.com agree.gif and sleep in polypro. w/hat. and allso a down vest, if needed (not yet) This bag is the same as the marmot hydrogen. But is not a mummy, it's rectangular.and you can move the down to the top side.Iwas leery of that at first but now like the feature. cold? try taping an auto sunscreen/windshield shade from shuks over the top of the bag to the pad. The sunscreen works nice as a ground cloth.

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 12:20 pm 
I've got a Western Mountaineering MegaLite last year. LINK I can recommend one without reservation. I weighs 1 lb. 9 oz. on my scale. It's rated at 30 degrees, but I've never had to zip it up during three season hiking. I usually end up unzipping it and throwing it over myself like a quilt (which was the reason I chose it over the 1/2 zip Marmot competitor). I think it would even suffice for snow caving, but last winter I was too chicken to try it. I think Tom even spotted a rare sale on WM bags recently.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 12:46 pm 
Being a small woman I am convinced that big sweaty men rate these bags. I use a +15 bag for road trips to desert climes and a 0 bag for here, even in the summer, and I am never too warm.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 9:35 pm 
I've got a Western M. High Lite. It is supposed to be rated to 40 degrees. I've spent nights at 7000+ ft in it in August where the temp. dropped below 32 degrees, and I was still ok. I slept in my smart wool, but I slept. I'd say that Western, then Feathered Friends, then Marmot make the best bags that you can trust ratings in. Link Ultimately one MUST know their own sleeping characteristics, and deal with them on an individual basis. I know someone that uses a 0 degree bag in August, when I could get away with a wool blanket! winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 9:56 pm 
The Highlite is a sweet lightweight summer bag. I've used mine with my HHammock nicely with a pad underneath. Great lightweight setup. Hey BPJ, you have good taste in gear. cool.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 10:26 pm 
highlite, mega light, (I have the mitylight) I WANT ONE OF EACH!!! Please?? please sir may I have another?? bawl.gif bawl.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 01, 2003 1:28 am 
Why thank you Doc. I have a Mity light too! Western makes great stuff! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
hikermike

hikermike
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 6:02 pm 
Ratings are only a rough estimate as they are a result of a technology only vaguely related to human physiology. Both rei and Backpacker mag at various times have taken on the topic to not much satisfaction. Essentially, they place some form of water filled bag inside a bag in a cold environment and measure the heat loss. This is a crude approximation of the equipment but you get the idea. However, everyone's metabolism is different as is their insulation (fat), circulation, personal choice of comfort, fatigue, dehydration... on and on. Also the shape of the bag, the clothes you wear (heat loss by conduction and radiation). I remember one trip when I took the kids into Cow Mdws. and it was warm going up. Later, as I was setting up camp, I realized that the only clothes I had were what I had on, a t-shirt and shorts. As the evening went on, I became very cold and worried how the nite would go. I got busy setting up the tent and cooking over the stove, and later, as the stars came out and I made my last minute pre-bedtime ramble, realized that I was perfectly comfortable. There's a lot of psychology in comfort. Eskimo babies are naked in their igloos. I have a recent Cat's Meow and yet have had to zip it to the top.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 11:59 pm 
Sleeping bag ratings are I believe not yet standardized, it's difficult. And kiliki, you just need to go on the Bacon Diet, and it will all make sense. Bags are always as warm as advertised for me! dizzy.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods