Forum Index > Trip Reports > Saul / Airplane Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 11:40 am 
Alton, Greg and I left from the Indian Creek trailhead at 7:00 yesterday morning under very warm temperatures. The first part of the trail following the White River is very flat--I recommend a mountain bike for this part. The pace was fast and we soon entered the Indian Creek valley where we were met with a gauntlet of mosquitos. But true to form and Dirty Harry--we plowed through the vicious snipes to where we found the boot tread directly across a small firepit about 4.5-5.0 miles in. We followed the boot path or fisherman's trail up and up coming across two separate small groups of people. One group having climbed Saul the day before and one group just fishing the time away at Airplane lake. We made it to Airplane lake and Alton decided to call it quits becuase he was just coming off a cold and couldn't muster up the energy to go any further. So, while Alton decided to lay low, Greg and I went up to point 6435 (675' Prominence) and up to Saul. Greg and I dropped our packs at the pass above the lake and scrambled up to Peak 6435 where we came across the leftover wires from the surveyors on top of this peak. I have never seen the White River valley and I thought the valley was quite nice from this vantage point. We then continued on the ridge and up easy slopes to the summit of Saul. This was a very pleasant scramble and highly recommended--in fact the traverse over to Indian Head looked like an enjoyable ridge traverse. Greg and I knew a lot of names in the register but we never came across JR's name--JR probably has never been to this summit becuase there was still a pencil with this register! We glissaded a good portion down to Airplane lake and then out via the fisherman's trail. The mosquitos got to me so bad in the valley I decided to wear my goretex jacket under 80 degree sun

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message