Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Persis 6/28/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Killer

Killer
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 7:19 pm 
I've wondered about this one for years as a snow route but finally tried it in Summer after learning of a "path." Be warned that it can be tricky to find the trail without a good map. Buy or download the Gold Bar and Index USGS maps. The road numbers aren't marked on there, but the road locations are accurate. For driving instructions: Exit Hwy 2 at Road 62 (south side) west of the Lake Serene trailhead road. Follow all the left forks that do not have gates. 62 to 6220 to an unmarked left with a bright red marker in a tree (double dash on map) past the logging debris to a switchback left (faint single dash) before a small waterfall, then .4 miles further near a large landslide. The road is rough before the last left, you might need to park at the logging piles and add another mile each way. The trail heads up the west ridge that comes off the north summit, then veers southeast through forest and meadows to the true summit 5,464ft, passing two tarns near the top. The trail starts on the right side of the single-dashed road at about 2800 ft -- 20 yards north of a large landslide that continues downhill across the switchbacks of 6220. Look for a red flag on the right that marks the trail, or a new drainage pipe on the left. The trail starts out steep, like the bottom of the Tiger Mtn cable route, but it is never exposed. The slope gains more than 1,600 ft in the first half mile, and most of it is in a hot and brushy clearcut. You won't regret doubling your water here on a hot day. Higher up, several blowdowns, some boulder hopping and a faint trail might cause you to lose the way at times, but routefinding isn't too difficult with cairns and other clues. Now the good part. The summit views are incredible. Makes you forget all your doubts from the heat, steepness, flies and scratches. The cliffs of Mt Index are right in your face. The 360 includes Seattle to the Olympics to Baker to Stuart to Rainier. North as far as Slesse, south as far as Adams. Name that peak. Two days later and I'm still excited. We signed the register, enjoyed the hot sun and laughs, and ate well. One other guy was on his way down when we neared the top, but that was all for the day. (Besides the guy who drove to the end of the road to blast music from his truck. ? ) That waterfall near the last turn is a fine place to cool down after the hike. So is Zeke's. Happy trails.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anomaly

Anomaly
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 10:54 pm 
Quote:
One other guy was on his way down when we neared the top...
That was me. I spent an hour at the top enjoying the amazing views. The only thing I'll add to this TR is that while the road is a little rough, I made it all the way to the trailhead in a low-clearance car. There's a good parking spot about 20 yards from the trailhead, which is about 100 yds from the end of the road.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message